toilet connector

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sparks., Dec 20, 2019.

1. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I've just put this Macalpine pan connector on the pan, but there's quite a gap inside, as shown on the picture. Is this normal? Won't it impede the plow of solids? An expert opinion would be much appreciated before I go ahead and fit.... :)

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shouldn't be a gap,might get problems with paper collecting there,a part number of that pan connector would be helpful, look like a MAC-1.

Would have used a McAlpine WC-CON1, or if a bit more length needed then a WC-CON2 & trimmed to size.

3. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Thinking of the size of pipe that Saniflows use to eject the, er, mush (which is tiny), I wouldn't worry about that gap at all.
    Everything should be moving at speed as it passes it and it will take many years before you get even a slight obstruction there.

4. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

You're right, it's a MAC-1. Is the CON 1 gonna be shorter so it fills the gap? It's a back to wall pan and length is not important...

5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Where does the reference to a Saniflo come from?

6. just pumps

Sparks, check the spigot is actualy round, see too many that are oval.

The Teach likes this.
  7. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Yes it's round, but just too short for the connector. Maybe 'back to wall' pans have shorter than usual spigots?

8. just pumps

There is one with a jubilee clip to tighten up if you have doubts it won`t stay on the spigot.

9. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I was just pointing out that Saniflows get rid of waste through a small bore pipe so it's unlikely a hole the size of the one in the photo would get blocked easily.

10. just pumps

There is no hole, can I have some of what you're smoking.

11. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

They have their own type of pan connectors,makes the job easy ;)

Its known as manufacturing tolerances :D

12. just pumps

Do you have a lnk?

More like intolerances :D

13. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Any chance of a link? I've tried them all now and NONE of them fit properly without a gap!

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can’t see that tiny gap being a problem myself, as long as the connector is a tight push fit onto the spigot

The flow direction of the waste is moving away from the gap, not towards it so how is paper gonna get stuck there ?

15. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I think it will seal ok, it's just the thought of water/**** being trapped and constantly sitting in there. Why the f*$k don't they make one that fits properly?!

16. just pumps

They do! However quality of the toilet pan spigot can be poor or people push them on too far. If you are really worried then fit the one with the jubilee clip.

17. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

They do? Please tell me which one fits without leaving that gap internally. A jubilee clip isn't going to fill that gap. I think you maybe missing the point...

18. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

19. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I've tried that one too. The pan spigot is quite short, hence the gap inside.

20. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

Not really much you can do then to be honest.

I would expect almost all conectors are manufactured in the same way to be as universal as posible. Its your pan thats the issue but as said before I dont really think you have an issue to be fair. I get what youre saying about it slowing flow but over such a small distance its nothing.

I worry more when people use the long flexi connectors as they are ribbed all the way along and I've never fancied using those.