Toilet Push Buttons Stuck

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by fred812, Feb 14, 2020.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Both buttons stuck down as pictures. The connection looks to be pneumatic rather than mechanical. Its been happening off and on for a while but could always be released by dabbing the buttons a bit. No so this time though it seems. Can this be fixed or does something have to be replaced?

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Replacing the flush valve and push button as a complete unit would sort it out. You possibly may be ok if just replacing the push button assembly.

3. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

The blue bowden cable (like a bicycle's brakes) has probably jammed. You're in luck (I think). Go and buy one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-push-button-cable-dual-flush-valve/51173

Turn the water off and flush the loo. You can flush it by lifting part of the flush mechanism with your fingers. Have a gentle poke around and it will be fairly obvious.

The bit in the middle of your cistern the cable attaches to will then unclick by turning it. Look at the new one to see how it comes apart and be very careful not to turn
    the fitting in the bottom of the cistern it attaches to or it will leak. I usually try to hold the fitting at the bottom firmly in one hand and unclick the top bit with the other.

You can click the new flush valve into the old fitting in the cistern (you don't need the whole valve, just the top part). Then pull the blue bit off the old button, unscrew the button and fit the new button in its place. If you take your time, it may take you as long as five minutes to do the lot!

4. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

Its mechanical and the problem is that the cable rusts near the clip on its end.
    As Terry & Joe said, you need to replace the button & cable, but its not much more expensive and an easier fit, just to replace the entire flush valve - they just twist off a bayonet fitting at the base. Expect the cable to start rusting again in a year or two, depending on how aggressive your local water supply is.

5. Jez Brown

Jez Brown Member

Yep, need a new flush valve, if its the removable type, make sure you get the same one to replace it otherwise if its close couple then you will need to remove the cistern. Make sure you have a replacement doughnut, back plate and fixing bolts to hand, just in case

6. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I was suggesting replacing the flush valve with the cable and button. But you should only have to fit the top section without removing the cistern. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm sure the one in my link will fit. It looks different, but I'm 99.99% certain the bayonet fitting is the same.

And you can always take it back if I'm wrong (he said, covering posterior).

Jez Brown likes this.
  7. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

8. daftfluff

daftfluff New Member

Not to want to hijack a thread, but this worked a charm on mine. Thanks so much. took literally 30 seconds.