Toilet Question

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Jonathan holmes, Mar 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Jonathan holmes

Jonathan holmes New Member

Just fitting a new flush . Apparently this red thing alters the amount of flush . Can I get it to move? Can I heck ! Am I doing something wrong ?

Jonathan

Attached Files:

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep, can be very stiff to move and adjust flush volume

If you’ve just been using your hands, try a wide flat screwdriver against the red lever and push down, with a slight inwards force also

They slide against a toothed section inside that keeps the red ‘thing’ in its position, ok once adjusted and ok when on the move

In fact, it’s easy once the thing slides to go past your desired set point so takes a couple of attempts to get right. Once set, shouldn’t have to bother with it again so that’s not so bad

good luck

3. Jonathan holmes

Cheers Dave

QUOTE="DIYDave., post: 2095046, member: 103844"]Yep, can be very stiff to move and adjust flush volume

If you’ve just been using your hands, try a wide flat screwdriver against the red lever and push down, with a slight inwards force also

They slide against a toothed section inside that keeps the red ‘thing’ in its position, ok once adjusted and ok when on the move

In fact, it’s easy once the thing slides to go past your desired set point so takes a couple of attempts to get right. Once set, shouldn’t have to bother with it again so that’s not so bad

good luck[/QUOTE]

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

[/QUOTE]

Let the forum know how you get on
    It’s good to get some feedback on the job but in the meantime - cheers for the cheers !

5. Jonathan holmes

Hi Dave ! Another quick question ! I’m fitting a new isolation on the toilet as well . Took off the old one but how do I get that olive off so I can replace it

Let the forum know how you get on
    It’s good to get some feedback on the job but in the meantime - cheers for the cheers ![/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

[/QUOTE]

Its not uncommon practice to leave the olive and nut in place on pipe and simply fit the new iso valve (using exisiting nut and olive on pipe)
    As long as olive and pipe in good condition (looks fine from picture) then no harm in this approach

Several ways however of removing the olive;

• Use an 'olive puller' - not worth buying for a one off job though but a great bit of kit if your planning regualr plumbing (I've got the Monument brass jobbie)
    • With a hacksaw blade, cut a groove in flat section of olive across the top, then insert a flat bladed screwdriver into groove and twist blade - this splits the olive and can then be removed - however, vitally important that you don't go too deep and nick the pipe but, with the above being such a short length of pipe, doesnt look like enough room to slide nut backwards to give sufficient access to olive
    • Replace push fit fitting / pipe with new and start fresh

Probably best to leave nut and olive in place - 'if' your replacing iso valve with another compression type ? As opposed to a push fit iso valve ?

7. Jonathan holmes

That’s really good advice , thankyou , I’ll just it alone and just put the isolation valve on

Its not uncommon practice to leave the olive and nut in place on pipe and simply fit the new iso valve (using exisiting nut and olive on pipe)
    As long as olive and pipe in good condition (looks fine from picture) then no harm in this approach

Several ways however of removing the olive;

• Use an 'olive puller' - not worth buying for a one off job though but a great bit of kit if your planning regualr plumbing (I've got the Monument brass jobbie)
    • With a hacksaw blade, cut a groove in flat section of olive across the top, then insert a flat bladed screwdriver into groove and twist blade - this splits the olive and can then be removed - however, vitally important that you don't go too deep and nick the pipe but, with the above being such a short length of pipe, doesnt look like enough room to slide nut backwards to give sufficient access to olive
    • Replace push fit fitting / pipe with new and start fresh

Probably best to leave nut and olive in place - 'if' your replacing iso valve with another compression type ? As opposed to a push fit iso valve ?[/QUOTE]