Toilet trickling ........only at night????

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by I-Man, Mar 18, 2021.

1. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi Guys

tricky one here... i have a rental property and tenant has started complaining about the toilet trickling water into the bowl..but it apparently only happens at night. She sent me a video of it, its hardly anything and you cant hear it, but she's making a big deal about wasting water and money blah blah blah.

Popped around to check (during the day of course) and there was no issue - however I did adjust the float valve to cutoff well before the water level reaches the overflow level and it was fine.....however again it's still apparently happening again but only at night.

Any thoughts or ideas, as i'm stumped, and as the property is a good hour's drive away I cant keep popping back and forth to investigate.

thanks

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Washer in the ball valve, just a drip a minute will slowly increase level. It will get above the overflow by a couple of mm due to surface tension before trickling for a short while. then build up again, trickle ... and so on

I-Man likes this.
  3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

ah ok..that makes sense..cheers!

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Water pressure is lower at night so water creeps past the float valve.

I-Man and Teki like this.
  5. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

sorry think i wasn't clear in my original post.. it's not an old fashioned ball valve, its a bottom entry valve with push button flush.

So perhaps I need to replace the whole valve, as not sure if you can just replace the washer alone in these ones?

I know the valves are pretty cheap, so may just do that

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Need to find the correct washer and find how to access it to swap, but finding the correct rubber can be a problem sometimes. Depending on type..
    If you need to change go with fluidmaster with the brass thread vs plastic. Note the part number for when you get the call again in 5-10years

I-Man likes this.
  7. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Yep, I saw that same one and have ordered it! Cheers

Wayners likes this.
  8. Steve baker

Steve baker New Member

It is going to be the float valve if it only happens over night 3 or 4 hours with out being used and it will then stert leaking ..... you could just tell her she has to get up and flush the toilet every couple of hours ... that will sort it ....... agree with last comment get a valve with a bress thread as its so easy to cross thread or over tighten the plastic ones

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Sometimes lime build up on the parts causes failer soon after rubber replacement. Also note which way around rubber is on or you will be scratching your head. Some only go on one way.. I take pictures as I go for speedy fix

10. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

last time i got the rubber the wrong way, the g/f ended up with a tingly ( Y ) :D

Wayners likes this.
  11. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. Water pressure at night tends to be higher, as fewer people using water.
    2. If inlet valve washer has hardened with age, higher pressure can make it leak.
    3. Identify type and replace.
    4. As other have said, if you can't identify the right one, replace whole inlet valve with a Fluidmaster bottom entry with brass shank.

I-Man likes this.
  12. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Already bought and fitted!