Toilet

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by lady_new_2_diy, Jun 19, 2020.

1. I got this armitage shanks toilet fitted on Monday to replace old loo.Tissue on back cos pipe leaks, plumber coming to fix that next week but don't want him saying loo ok if not.
    It looks wrong, lid doesn't cover seat, seat doesn't cover bowl. It just looks misaligned.
    Didn't know if it was a problem so I googled toilets and all of them have lids, seats and bowls covering each other, mine is the only one that looks like this, could it cause IMG_20200619_120315867.jpg a problem? If so, how? thanks.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I take it the lid was new along with the toilet ?

And who supplied both items ?

Toilets and seats do vary in shape and size and fixing method so no 1 seat fits all toilets

However, there should be some adjustment on that seat, or the hinges actually

Looks like it just needs bringing forward and squaring up as agreed, it’s not right at present

Are you wanting to adjust this yourself or wait till the chap returns ?

Basically, at back of seat where hinges fix to loo, on both sides there will be a plastic/metal cover that conceals the fixings

Several different designs of seats and hinges but hopefully yours is simply adjustable by either partially rotating both fixings, this brings seat either backwards or forwards

Or some hinges have 2 screw holes that connect hinge and by selecting either rear or front screw hole, again, this moves seat back and forth

If your stuck, take a picture of the hinge and post but I’m fairly sure this will simply be sorted

Some seat designs though are pretty tight to shape of bowl whilst others have a larger overlap - just different styles really

lady_new_2_diy likes this.
  3. Hi DIY Dave Thanks-photo included, I have some questions please?

The plumber supplied the toilet, cistern, seat, pipe everything, its armitage shanks.
    I never thought to mention the toilet to the plumber so he doesn't know its a problem.
    I don't know how to adjust it, I have no tools.

What will happen if it is left?
    Will the plumber have had to drill holes in the toilet to put the seat and lid on?
    Here is a photo of the hinges.
    toilet.jpg

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

There might be some degree of forward movement in the fittings for the seat to fit more as you would like it to in relation to the pan but there is no adjustment for the lid and seat seperately.
    What will happen if it is left - It will bug the hell out of you wont it? And the holes are cast in the ceramic not drilled afterwards.

5. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Can be fiddly but the seat should and probably will adjust to look better than that once done.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As I said, there’s various fixing methods with loo seats, some better than others and some offering adjustment

I’m thinking that loo seat is a right old cheap one unfortunately - is the plastic fairly thin and bendy ?

Also think it has no adjustment with those hinges, forwards or back

Look under loo directly under hinges and you will see a plastic nut on each side

Sometimes a wing nut which you can tighten/ loosen with fingers or just a nut, that you use a spanner / grips on

I ‘think’ with those hinges, there’s a bolt with a square/rectangular head above the loo that the hinge slides onto

When you tighten bolt under, that clamps bolt and hinge to loo

Again, I ‘think’ with this type there’s no adjustment though

When buying a new loo, some come supplied with a seat but many don’t as said previously, there’s no 1 seat fits all

I suspect plumber has got a cheap seat which isn’t a good match to bowl shape and size

Have a chat with him and explain you would like the seat changed - it does look a little small

Look under the seat with it closed, there will be several rubber feet that should span across the width of the bowl rim. Where do the front rubbers sit ?

In B&Q for instance, they have a large range of seats at various prices, around £35 will get you a decent plastic one - they have cheaper and more expensive

On box is all toilet measurements that seat will fit so you can make an informed choice

Keep the forum updated and good luck

7. Hi thanks, it won't bug me, I just posted to ask if it would cause problems.
    I want to sell my property though, and wondered if it would bug anyone else and put them off?

8. How can the seat be adjusted?
    Why should it be adjusted?
    Does it look horrible?
    I forgot to mention it to the plumber who is coming on Wednesday.

9. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Can the seat be adjusted? Probably, unless it's a cheapo.
    Why should it be adjusted? Thought you were not happy with the seat alignment.
    Does it look horrible? Awful.

10. Hi and thanks
    I have a few questions please at the end of this pic and a photo?
    The seat is plastic but not bendy.
    Yeah I do see a plastic nut.

I cannot see the rubbers underneath the seat so I took the photo below from underneath the seat.
    They do not span the width of the bowl. They start about half inch into the bowl and hang over it.
    Please can you tell me why they should span the width of the bowl?
    What will happen if they don't?
    What makes you think it is cheap?
    IMG_20200620_210205821.jpg
    thanks

11. Why does it look awful?

12. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Out of alignment offends the eye.

13. Yeah it is out of alignment. The plumber is an accredited plumber, boss busy though so sent a young lad.
    There were a few other problems I had with the job as I felt that the younger plumber rushed the job.
    I like the firm but I felt like the lad he sent (he has over three years experience) rushed the job a bit. Wish the boss had come to do it. Hope he has time on Wednesday to fix the seat as I forgot to mention it, it also leaks where cistern meets flush pipe. He fitted a new radiator too and I felt there were problems with that which I emailedd the boss photos of but he said they were ok.

14. just pumps

At end of the day one toilet seat isn't going to make or break the sale of the house. Will take one minute to straighten it up.

15. It doesn't look like one that can be straightened up.

16. just pumps

Poppy cock.

17. I'm no expert, I noticed when taking a photo as per DIYDave's request that the seat is misaligned.

18. just pumps

The guy will adjust it in one minute, watch him.

19. Thanks, the seat and lid are too small for the bowl though.

20. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

The seat and lid are one and require bringing forward (adjusting). :)