told not to use solvite paste why?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by plumberstool, Apr 8, 2007.

1. plumberstool

plumberstool New Member

my wife bought some laura ashley wallpaper, the shop told her not to use solvite paste and to use theirs, was this just a sales gimmick or is there a reason why we should not use it? it is going on to crosslined lining paper thanx

2. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Well my first thought is that it is a sales gimmick, however, I'd go with what they recommend, cos if it's **** and you want to complain..at least you've done everything right ;)

3. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Read a thread on here a little while back about this. I think it was Telmay (? - sorry if not) who was complaining that Solvite had changed the formula and the paste wasn't anywhere as good as it used to be. Don't know myself, haven't papered in months and have loads of "old" paste in stock.

Maybe the LA staff have heard similar. Mind you, given the general opinion on here about the quality of LA papers...

4. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

Personally, Laura Ashley used to be a right pain! as for the Solvite, I have never had a problem with it, used it for LA papers several times with no proplems, they could just be trying to sell their's? chances are, that it is still made by Henkel, who make ...... Slovite!
    If your un sure, there is all ways the ready mixed stuff, no problems with this either!

5. Telmay

Telmay New Member

they are just trying to sell you thier paste, no reason why you cant use solvite, however if there is a problem sticking up the LA *** (sorry but it is) they will just blame solvite.

JB - there was a problem with the new improved solvite, but the last batch I used was OK, so they must have sorted it out.

[Edited by: admin9]