Told to "buy once and cry once". But now I'm still crying with an expensive ecosystem!

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by phario, Jan 20, 2020.

1. phario

phario New Member

I'm a home DIYer, which is a fairly generous description of my capabilities. Still, when I started buying tools a few years ago, I was told to "buy once and cry once". So for example, for my cordless drill, I chose DeWalt. It was a no-brainer to invest into a good drill.

But now I have a problem that every power tool I may want to buy, I need to seriously think about sticking with DeWalt so that I can make use of the batteries. For example, I needed a cordless grass string trimmer that would be used maybe 10x a year in a very modest garden. I could either spend £160 for a DeWalt bare unit or I could spend £80 for a Black & Decker unit that came with batteries. I don't mind spending money (twice as much, in some cases) for a good power tool, but the majority of them I might not use significantly.

I also think that cordless vs. corded tools should be considered. Battery technology is always changing, and batteries have a finite lifespan. It might not be a great idea to invest so heavily in expensive power tools when you're not going to make use of the full capabilities and the batteries will be dead in 5-10 years anyways.

I think the crowd here is much more serious than I am about DIY matters, but do you have any advice about this issue of being stuck in an ecosystem that exceeds your requirements as a home DIYer?

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Why a cordless one? I'm with Makita and generally have 3 options when buying a tool:
    - go for higher end brushless
    - got for cheaper end brushed (as with my impact driver)
    - go 240v corded, which then can be any brand.

I would suggest that with something like a strimmer to get a cheapy corded one as it won't be used much.

3. dtexh

dtexh Member

I swear by Evolution power tools. Own an SDS drill, skill saw, chop saw, dustless drywall sander. Cheap and very well made. Have taken a beating during a whole house renovation and still all going strong.

4. phario

phario New Member

Because I consulted with others who agreed that a cordless grass trimmer was the way to go. Having used it, I definitely do appreciate the convenience of not having to get out an extension cord in the garden. In many ways, a cordless grass trimmer makes a lot of sense.

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

But why? Sounds like you're following others advice blindly.

Cordless strimmers will generally be less powerful than mains ones and cost more. So its a compromise of power, cost and convenience. Pick 2.

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Now you're really stooping low. I bought a B&D Workmate years ago, and it's still doing its thing, but I wouldn't touch anything else from them with a barge pole.

malkie129 and nigel willson like this.
  7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Mains or cordless bargepole Roger?

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

The tool has to suit the job it will be used for. Rolling out an extension cable every few weeks in the summer is not a show stopper for me. Probably simpler than trying to remember to put the batteries on charge. I have a fairly big garden so bought a petrol 4 Stoke Honda strimmer on Gumtree for £80. Never missed a beat, starts within a couple of pulls at the start of the season, would I mess about with that in a smaller garden, not a chance.

Battery tools absolutely have their place, but they are not for every job

Hans_25 and masterdiy like this.
  9. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

+1.
    After spending lots of money over the years on cordless, I now only buy corded.
    After semi retiring I find cordless very adaptable but corded the most practicable. As I'm not working from the back of the van.
    I obviously still have all my cordless & I will use them till they pack up or batteries go. (or I sell them)

Now if your talking about a cordless lawn mowers....then I would heartily recommend cordless. My 36V Bosch mower is the bees knees.
    [​IMG]And no cutting through cables.

10. CosD

CosD Active Member

There are certain cordless tools which are expensive, but that's not the case with every cordless tool.

I'm on Makita, started with drill and impact driver. Wanted an SDS, cost me just over £100, added an electric orbital sander, cost around £80, planer around £100.
    Of course there are much cheaper available, but getting a quality body only tool is a good investment in my opinion. The two 4ah batteries I got with drill and impact driver are used for everything and going strong after 5 years.

My garden tools are separate, I petrol; But my strimmer and hedge cutter are interchangeable, the lawnmower (Hayter) separate.

Don't think there is right and wrong, the amount of use and abuse should determine what you choose and how much you spend.

11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Does the Ridiculous recommend strimmer cut SPAM?

BillyBobToo likes this.