Toms top tips from than award :-)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Copper Dragon, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

We love 'em a little more than the uneducated, left wing poor.

2. Itandje

Itandje New Member

Teuchter, you'll be one of the first in line for re-education come the revolution.
    Pol Pot style hopefully....do you wear glasses?

3. The humour on this thread is award winning. Some of you guys should be on stage. I have tears of laughter rolling down my face.

Crying with laughter - Really

4. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

yes i too have laffed hard during this thread,
    i have added to my C.V
    left wing uneducated member of the three simpletons.
    reads goos don't ya think :)

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Tom, are you going to grow a goaty beard, speak with a yank accent & wear a Frank Spencer tammy hat, for the Myth Buster video?? I see 1tap wants Mrs P to get her melons out, before getting shot by a 15mm HV cap, Gawd he's got such a sick mind!!! Tell your lovely wife the melons are on special down at Asda.

6. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Au contraire, Mr Plum - you are certainly not uneducated.

Your natural intelligence puts most of us to shame.

7. Onetap

Onetap New Member

"Don't think so mush, 10 bar with a footpump, most of
    them are falling apart if you get anywhere near 3.
    Try using one sometime."

You may think that, but then you are incompetent.
    Tyres on racing bicycles run at 100psi+ and are usually pumped up with a hand pump. The industry-standard Rothenberger test pump goes up to 30 bar; I’d guess that you’ve never used one. Have a Google, and you’ll find hydraulic test (hand) pumps that are rated to 1000 bar.

Some years ago I used a cheap Halfords foot pump to pressure test an air compressor receiver; the receiver's working pressure was 10 bar, so I probably pumped it up to 15 bar. You may think that air and water pumps are different, but you'd be wrong again (except for the loss of efficiency due to the compression & expansion of gas in the clearance between the piston and cylinder head; but you knew that, of course). Come right back on that one of you want to humiliate yourself a bit more.

"A stopend would be different, if it hit you on
    the rze it might sting a bit."

Why would it hit you on the "rze"? Do you think you'd be able to duck when it goes pop? I think you do.:-0

"It's cos of pr1cks like you that kids can't play
    conkers anymore. There's a million to one chance that
    some kid........"

No, that's down to foul-mouthed clowns like you. Despite the information being available free on the internet, you still think you know better than anyone and everyone with any hard-earned qualifications or experience. When it all goes horribly wrong, you'll be off howling and wibbling to Injury Lawyers 4 U with the vitreous humour running down your face. We've got fools in the workplace and so every employer has to pay people with a couple of brain cells to follow them around with method statements and risk assessments to make sure they don't kill themselves or their colleagues during working hours.

8. Itandje

Itandje New Member

You may think that, but then you are incompetent.
    Tyres on racing bicycles run at 100psi+ and are usually pumped up with a hand pump. The industry-standard Rothenberger test pump goes up to 30 bar; I’d guess that you’ve never used one.

And what have they to do with a footpump.

Some years ago I used a cheap Halfords foot pump to pressure test an air compressor receiver; the receiver's working pressure was 10 bar, so I probably pumped it up to 15 bar.

This I simply do not believe.

You may think that air and water pumps are different, but you'd be wrong again

You may make as many assumptions as you like to support your arguments, like most assumptions they will be wrong.

Why would it hit you on the "rze"? Do you think you'd be able to duck when it goes pop? I think you do

I think that I wouldn't be stupid enough to put my head in front of one under pressure test. How about you??

When it all goes horribly wrong, you'll be off howling and wibbling to Injury Lawyers 4 U with the vitreous humour running down your face.

More wrong assumptions, I'm one month younger than tomplum (the old bstrd) and I've still got all of my bodily appendages intact and unscarred. I've never sued anyone in my life, and have always managed to keep myself safe at work since long before the advent of H&S alarmists like you.

9. Nirdam

Nirdam New Member

Some years ago I used a cheap Halfords foot pump to pressure test an air compressor receiver; the receiver's working pressure was 10 bar, so I probably pumped it up to 15 bar.

Probably?
    No pressure guage fitted then?
    Hardly the work of a professional!
    You've no idea what pressure you pumped it up to have you?
    And yet can accuse others of being incompetent.

10. Onetap

Onetap New Member

have you?

No, but that's because I don't remember the pressure I used. It is some years ago. Gauge fitted, I have shelves of them; probably 1.5 times working pressure.

Aren't you an idiot.

11. Onetap

Onetap New Member

"And what have they to do with a footpump."

:)

"I think that I wouldn't be stupid enough to put my
    head in front of one under pressure test. How about
    you??
    "

You think that you can predict which way the shrapnel will go if something bursts?

You haven't got a clue.

12. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I've never sued anyone in my life, and have always managed to keep myself safe at work since long before the advent of H&S alarmists like you....................Totally agree with you Mantie la.

I checked our records & most of our young lads have only ever been off work due to sports injuries. Of course we have H&S in place, but it's carried out as a requirment only. 90% of it is complete rubbish & an insult to anyone with common sense. A CSCS card is a prime example of a complete waste of money & time.

So 1tap, go tell it to people that care!!!

13. Itandje

Itandje New Member

You think that you can predict which way the shrapnel will go if something bursts?

You haven't got a clue.

Shrapnel oh *** we're talking about a c/heating system pressurised with a footpump, like I keep saying, about 2 or 3 bar if you're lucky. You've got copper pipe which could rupture but never shatter, pressed steel radiators whose seams may rupture but again never shatter. Heat exchanger pump etc, possibly at high enough pressure. But generally buried inside a boiler, or at least an airing cupboard.
    You say I haven't got a clue,,,get real./

14. Onetap

Onetap New Member

Yes, shrapnel; metal &/or plastic fittings or fragments that come off and fly around.

You seem to think that you can duck if it pops so that only your "rze" is exposed, that it won't fail at "2 or 3 bar", that you can anticipate how it will fail and the directions any flying fragments will take. You are deluded.

I know that I cannot predict whether it will fail, the pressure it will fail at, how it will fail, or what might break.

I have learned a lot from this thread. I got out of domestic plumbing and into other areas in about 1975; I could never fit in with plumbers, my IQ being higher than my waist measurement. But really, I had forgotten how incredibly thick some UK plumbers are and you have reminded me; I thank you most sincerely. It's been fun. Time-served plumbers; you've got to love their misplaced confidence in themselves.

I need to go and do some work now, find a new motor for a drill. Anyone got a 20 hp diesel spare?

15. Onetap

Onetap New Member

PS

Regarding the pressure test using the Halford's car foot pump, mentioned on the previous page. I had hoped one of the resident dummies would challenge me on using an air pump for a 15 bar pressure test, but they seem to have missed that one.

I should mention that the important detail is that the footpump was immersed in an F&E tank full of water. I connected it with car brake hoses, which had the same thread as the pump hose (3/8" BSP, I think it was). I filled the receiver with water and, with the air outlet valve open, pumped some water through to get rid of the air bubbles. Shut valve, pump up to 12 or 15 bar or whatever it was.

The pump rusted solid afterwartds, but it was a rubbish one anyway.

16. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I have learned a lot from this thread. I got out of domestic plumbing and into other areas in about 1975; I could never fit in with plumbers, my IQ being higher than my waist measurement. But really, I had forgotten how incredibly thick some UK plumbers are and you have reminded me; I thank you most sincerely. It's been fun. Time-served plumbers; you've got to love their misplaced confidence in themselves.

Well Mr Jobsworth, we may not be too well educated, but I can guarantee we make 3-4 times what you do *.

That's good news that you're departing. You have the personality of a damp rat & will look like one in your warehouse coat & specs. You're nothing but a bolding old *face.

[Edited by: admin]

17. Onetap

Onetap New Member

" You have the personality of a damp rat & will look like one in your warehouse coat & specs. You're nothing but a bolding old * face."

Why, thank you , Dick, and I love you too.
    I will regularly check on your technical advice, you half-witted, in-bred paveen Gorbal rocket-polisher; for amusement value only.

18. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

What!!.........You still here *??

Oh I love it when we win......Yas!!!
    Another win for common sense, over the boring jobsworths!!!!

19. imran_

imran_ New Member

Pressure test with air as you please, and let natural selection take its course! ;) Obviously people recommending it never bother testing their drainage, because if they did they'd figure out how difficult it can be to find a leak with air!!

I'm looking forward to seeing the test on video :)

20. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the test on video........................Yes, I am also!! Brace yourself Mrs Plum, it won't hurt a bit??!!