Tool question for stonework

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by colinthehamster, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Hi all,

I'm currently removing a coat of horrid pebble dash from my pennant stone cottage and need some advice re tools.

I'm using an sds with chisel bit to hack the render off but I need the correct tools to rake out the mortar joint and also to remove the loose faces of the stone on some stone that was never rendered.

I've seen people doing this locally using a little pick but can't seem to find where I can buy one in person rather than online - have tried screwfix, toolstation etc
    And I've seen a claw looking tool used to rake off the loose stone faces.

Can anyone advise as to where I can go and buy a pick and also what the rake type tool would be called?

Cheers in advance!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  3. OK brilliant many thanks!

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Ther claw like tool is is an arbortech saw - you can hire from Travis Perkins that will go really quickly through cement based mortar

if you have soft mortar (lime or black ash) get one of these and a cheap angle grinder https://www.screwfix.com/p/mortar-rake-8-x-40mm/31307

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

When you say little pick, you dont mean a brick hammer do you.

81nRyVDk6rL._SX450_.jpg

Or a Rock Hammer with a pointed end.

71g-1JU1rVL._SX466_.jpg