Toolboxes vs. Tool chest

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

As tools accumulate, I have been buying more tools boxes. But they are getting too many, and now seem it is difficult to remember which tool box has what tools.

Any efficient and practical way to arrange tools into several different tool boxes? Or would it be better to go for tool chest with lots of drawers?

How do you manage your tools? And what tool boxes, tool chest have you got? Which ones are your favorite? cheers.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I got too many as well,but I do keep seperate boxes for plumbing,electric tools, etc & they are labeled, same with power tools,they live in a sidefiler filing cabinet,& again each drawer labeled with what they contain.
    Other less used hand tools,end feed fittings,boxes of screws,etc, go in 4,6,11 & 15 drawer filing cabinets,these came from Freegle & Freecycle.

Theleman likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I store my tools close at hand.................................in a £1 bucket from Wickes!:cool:

Theleman and KIAB like this.
  4. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Vintage metal filing cabinets could be good tool boxes indeed. I used to see them on ebay going for a few pounds for large ones locally, but nowadays not readily available. Must keep watching.

Do you have workshop or shed?

5. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I used to keep my scrapers, plastering trowels and paint brushes in 1£ buckets or empty paint cans / pots, but tools increased recently overflowing into so many cans, buckets and pots. Nightmare to remember where things are.

Astramax likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Theleman likes this.
  7. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Wow, that must be exciting project. :)
    Cannae wait for the spring too, lots of work waiting to start here too :)

Yeah, that cabinet looks perfect tool chest use.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Annoying thing is,I now have to get someone else to build it,as I have long term shoulder problem as a result of a accident,& it's too much for me now.:mad:

9. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, I recall you mentioned about the accident before. I thought it was very long time ago, and you got all well and good. Hope you will recover fully soon.

Good thing is that, when someone else builds it for you, you have time to do other things :)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm a stickler for neat blockwork, so I might not see eye to eye with builder if he is sloppy.:D

As for me, I decided not to have op, as could make things worse.

Theleman and AlvyChippy like this.
  11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

When you are paying for the work commisioned, quite right. You expect nothing but the best quality work.

Op. scare me. Never had one in my life. Hope I will never have to in my life time.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had appendicitis some years ago,about 16 weeks recovery after op.:(

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  13. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Some complication with the op? I thought it is usually simple op and recovery is within a few days.

But it is a critical symptom that needs timely op. in order to survive, I heard.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A few days:D,keyhole is up to 3 week, I had open surgery,they say 4-5 weeks recovery,had reaction to dressing used,& my muscles,nerves took ages to settle down,still painful nearly 12 weeks later.

What impressed me was they used glue to close a 4" wound,no stitches.:eek:

15. They do not use a dressing when they use glue to close the incision,this knowledge comes from experience.
    A link to advice for glued wounds local to you.
    https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/Wound care advice_NBT002253.pdf

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. A friend of mine had some major surgery over 10 years ago and they did not use any dressings on her.

I also had major surgery not 10 years ago though and they did not use dressings on me.

That is why I was sceptical about the dressing.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

19. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I have two Facom roller cabinets which are very nice but not cheap.

I keep one in the kitchen, and when I have tidied the tools away, put a beech board in the top to prep dinner. Much better quality than the kitchen trolleys on the market.

Theleman and KIAB like this.
  20. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I was bidding for a Halfords tool cabinet, but outbid by a few pounds. I was not around when the auction was ending. I should have, from hind sight.

Good tools storage is quite important, now I realise. Because without it tools cannot be located in time causing frustration, and am sure some tools can be lost.

I already lost a tool I was looking for. I am sure I have never taken it out the house, but just cannot locate it. It should be somewhere in the house, just don't know where.