Tools to hang heavy mirror

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by jam25, Aug 21, 2019.

1. jam25

jam25 New Member

Hi

What kind of tools are best to hang a heavy framed mirror over the fireplace in my living room (16kg)

The wall is an external brick wall with plasterboard on top of it.

The previous owners had a mirror too and left the fixings in there(2 red 6mm rawl plugs)

I hung the mirror on these for now but I am not confident or of knowledge if these are the best. I know that the existing rawl plugs/screws are in the plasterboard and not through the brick.

Would it be advisable to get longer screws and drill into the brick at the back?

The mirror itself looks secure but just want some extra peace of mind as I have no knowledge of these things.

Thanks in advance

2. Mike58

Mike58 Active Member

You are right not top trust what is there and if they are only in the plasterbopard then you have a risk.

16kg is not heavy and only a little more than a large flat screen TV. Is the PB dot and dab with a gap? or screwed flat on?

I personally would get some 50mm long Fischer plugs and some 60mm pan head screws and get right into the brick but make sure you do not penetrate the back of the bricks.

3. jam25

jam25 New Member

Thanks Mike! Your reply confirms my doubts. The mirror is currently hung on two 28mm screws with uno 6mm red rawl plug.

I get on with replacing these with fischer plugs

4. Mike58

Mike58 Active Member

UX 8x50 Item 20669 with some 5mm screws.

Plugs are not cheap, however they are way better than the standard yellow/red/brown type. The only time I now you basic plugs is when fitting electrical back boxes, everything is no UX, SX or Duopower

jam25 likes this.
  5. jam25

jam25 New Member

Thank you! Makes my life easier searching for the right thing

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Active Member

Gripfits

7. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

If you have the setting tool, then these will do the job. Available in different sizes for heavier loads.

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

Only if there’s a void behind it

9. jam25

jam25 New Member

So I bought 50mm fischer plugs and it came with 70mm screws.

When I drilled two 50mm holes into the wall two things happened.

1. The left one I could feel the drill going through plaster and then something harder and then it stopped and I couldn’t drill any further but thats ok as I was intending to because I had got the 50mm I needed.

But this meant the screw I had which is 70mm is sticking out by just under 20mm of the wall!

2. The right side I started drilling and same thing happened with the only difference that my drill drilled through the harder bit and went into what feels like a void. I went outside and looked but there is nothing so I sure hasn’t gone out the back of the brick.
    But the 70mm screw went all in becuase of this ‘void’ like things

Both sides I never got any red powder while drilling, only very fine light grey powder.

Now I have one screw sitting almost flush with the wall on the right and the other one sticking out on the left.

Iam off to get some 60mm screws but a little worried about the stability of the these as when I shook the screws to check there is ever so slight movement in the screws.

The plugs are sitting flush and tight no problem.

Any ideas please?

10. jam25

jam25 New Member

So I bought 50mm fischer plugs and it came with 70mm screws.

When I drilled two 50mm holes into the wall two things happened.

1. The left one I could feel the drill going through plaster and then something harder and then it stopped and I couldn’t drill any further but thats ok as I was intending to because I had got the 50mm I needed.

But this meant the screw I had which is 70mm is sticking out by just under 20mm of the wall!

2. The right side I started drilling and same thing happened with the only difference that my drill drilled through the harder bit and went into what feels like a void. I went outside and looked but there is nothing so I sure hasn’t gone out the back of the brick.
    But the 70mm screw went all in becuase of this ‘void’ like things

Both sides I never got any red powder while drilling, only very fine light grey powder.

Now I have one screw sitting almost flush with the wall on the right and the other one sticking out on the left.

Iam off to get some 60mm screws but a little worried about the stability of the these as when I shook the screws to check there is ever so slight movement in the screws.

The plugs are sitting flush and tight no problem.

Any ideas please?

11. Mike58

Mike58 Active Member

Light grey powder suggests a mortar course rather than brick ...

12. jam25

jam25 New Member

That means I’ll have to drill more to get into the brick? Not sure what the void like area is on the right. And why only one side. Could be a hollow concrete brick?

13. dray

dray New Member

Why not get some z bar hangers for the mirror? More expensive but you could put several screws into them or pack the void out and screw into the brickwork. Google them or go on Amazon to see what I mean. Hope you get it sorted

14. BikerChris

BikerChris Member

I had this a few months ago, overkilled it by using wall anchors :(. Was PB on inch batten on brick. Never know, might wanna hang a bike off it one day (not).

15. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

They're "Gripits", and now is the time to buy a load of them, as they may not be around for much longer. :(