Top fed radiator - part 2

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by brip, Sep 25, 2005.

1. brip

brip New Member

I posted a question on 02/09/05 regarding top fed towel rail. Just to update those who replied to me I have fitted the towel radiator on the wall, both feed and return via the top tappings. I adopted Chris's suggestion of a 'dip tube' for the return and the radiator workd brilliantly. I used a chromed half inch male to 15mm compression fitting and made the dip tube from 10mm into 15mm pipe. Many thanks for all the suggestions

2. chris clifton

chris clifton New Member

Thanks for getting back to us. It's gratifying to know when these things work out (not that they don't always work out, of course, but it's still nice to get confirmation).

3. Michael Mayuga

Michael Mayuga New Member

Hi Brip - I know your post was a while back but I am about to do exactly what you did! Read that some people where having issues due to the radiator being inverted and that only part of the heater was working.

After searching the web for answers, it seems that installing a dip tube would be the best solution and I am glad that you have managed it.

My question is - what is a dip tube? I cant find anything on the web about it, where to buy it and how to install it.

I have very little plumbing knowledge but was competent enough to install a walk-in shower with all it's pipework hidden etc but this is going through a detailed instruction.

Please help.

regards

Michael

4. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

Michael Mayuga,welcome.
    what heating product are you installing ? since 2005 some heat emitter manufactures have actuality kopped on.

should not be a problem,just mention the product you intend to install and the system it will connect to. easy :)

5. Michael Mayuga

Michael Mayuga New Member

@The Teach - thank you

I have the Diamond Heated Towel rail 600 x 1600 and it will be connected to a Vaillant Ecotech 28 boiler.

Since my boiler is on the ground floor (between the kitchen and bathroom), I have access to the out and return 22mm pipe and will use a T branch (reduce to 15mm) to direct it to the heated towel rail. This route is only via the ceiling.

I would really appreciate any advice given.

Regards

Michael

6. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

I doubt the mentioned towel warmer will heat sufficiently with top connections (ceiling fed pipes). An ad-hock distributing injector pipe could be made but due to the multiple horizontal cross pipe design of the mentioned towel warmer.The heated water will take the easy route and bypass most of the towel warmer resulting in low overall heat output.
    If the towel warmer is also intended to heat the room,it will not supply sufficient heat.

Unfortunately your mentioned towel warmer is bottom connections only. If this type of towel warmer is essential,consider the electric product.

Top fed radiators are rare,although this product can be top fed https://www.purmo.com/en/products/vertical-design-radiators/tinos.htm#tab-technical-data
    The tech diagram shows + OR ++ (++ will give more heat output).

They also do towel hanging rail's which attach to the radiator.