topic swap "worktop nightmare" so started own & linked..

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by tea_time, Mar 19, 2008.

1. tea_time

tea_time New Member

I didnt want to continue the topic swap from the other post, so I have diverted it here!
    for those missing the beginning it starts from the link below.
    http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=79764&start=0&tstart=0
    with bernieeccles asking me a question... feel free to update yourself.
    =========================================================

Lamello is correct, quality tools do help produce quality work, theres no doubt about it.

My job in the firm I work for is more complex than the basic Masons Mitre, yes a quality Jig sharp cutter

decent router will produce a very good finish that would only require a little tweak to produce a hairline for

a join its not difficult.
    even someone with a poor quality jig and a sanding block can achieve the same join quality if they have the

skill & understanding where to sand.
    I understand where Lamello is coming from...

My reasons for colorfill are not the same as other peoples...
    My Job is laminated worktops, thats all I do.
    Inset postform returns in what ever style required, is what I'm employed to do, also other things but this isnt

a cv or advertisment for the firm I work for.
    In its basic form, "its a section of postform cut from a donor worktop and glued into a cutout within another

worktop", at what ever angle or situation required to suit the design of kitchen.
    there are no comercially avaliable jigs for a kitchen fitter to do this work.
    its the shaping sanding and fitting of the new sections which require lots of delicate work, even the best fit

will require colorfill, for the best cosmetic enhancment.
    For me, silicone is usless in my requirements for joining the sections.

Anyone who thinks they know better, has never glued thin sections of postform to another worktop ranging from

5cm in length upto and over 2 meters long or they would understand the benefits of Colorfill.

2. Fat Bald Martin

Fat Bald Martin New Member

Hi TT, I've seen on your website how the inset postforms work and I have to say they look fantastic when they are complete.
    I do not pretend to be an expert, I just read this and other forums to learn, so please don't read anything adverse into these questions.
    Your inset strips must be living a much "harder" life than a bolted mason mitre because the majority of the strength of the joint is the glue, do you use Colourfil as the primary adhesive or just as a colourmatch on the laminate edge with something stronger in the body of the joint?
    Just so you know where I currently sit on the "what to put in worktop joints" question I "tweek" and sand (I use 320G Wet and Dry used dry on a wooden block) until the joint is as good as I can make it (no visible gaps dry!) and then use Colourfil on its own even though nearly all that I apply gets squeezed out.
    I always worry about worktops failing at the joint and if you use a different combination of adhesive/Colourfil on the inset postforms I will try that.

Thanks Martin

3. tea_time

tea_time New Member

To answer your question, as a color match to enhace the cosmetics.
    Thanks for the compliments

4. Fat Bald Martin

Fat Bald Martin New Member

Hi TT, thanks for the response, if you use Colourfil to enhance the cosmetics, what gives the joint the strength? do you glue with something other than just Colourfill like epoxy/PVA/PU? with a thin bead of Colourfil on the laminate edge or something else?

Cheers

Martin

5. tea_time

tea_time New Member

your on the right track :)
    you'l want me to come n teach ya next :p lol

6. RK Joiner

RK Joiner New Member

definately right tea time... if joint perfect, no colourfill only the best pva money can buy, if joint almost perfect, pva and the tiniest slither of colourfill along the laminate edge, if joint nowhere near perfect,.... swear words and recut!