Topping a very large Beech hedge

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by furious_customer, Jun 4, 2018.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Ha ha - yeah true Kiab - I do appreciate your suggestions!

I am 6ft plus, but the 4m hedge height was an estimation - it might be a bit higher than that - so I reckon the higher the platform the better.

2. facilities

facilities Guest

You are right Isit, but if the neighbours are general ok but this edge is denying them light, If I were furious customer I would cut it, would you like it next to you ?
    I had an issue years gone by, our next door neighbour let his conifers grow to about 5mts, keeping our garden in darkness throughout the day, he said he would not be paying to have them cut as the house is being sold and they have had an offer, I told him him I would inform the potential buyers of this issue and the conflict with his neigbour, which he should himself have declared on the seller pack

A week later they were cut down at a cost of around £1500.00

So my sympathies are with your neigbour

3. furious_customer

To be fair, it isn't blocking light - it's just too high to be maintained from either side
    Good neighbour relations are important to me (as long as everyone is being reasonable!) and we are not at dispute - we both agree that we want the hedge down a bit.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Not a great time to cut a hedge like this as there is potential to disturb nesting birds - an offence under the wildlife and countryside act I think.
    There are ways around this basically involving 'not disturbing nesting birds'. Failing that, explain the situation to your neighbour and give it a couple of months....

Heat and DIY womble like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Beech hedging is best cut twice a year, in early June & a second cut in early August.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. furious_customer

Good point guys - thanks - I will check the hedge for any nesting birds and we will postpone the project till later in the year if there is even a hint of a nest.

On another note, I was testing my Titan pruner attachment the other day and found that it doesn't cut anywhere near as well as it did last year. I thought it might have been a dull blade , so I bought a new one from my local SF yesterday - but still no joy - it's a real effort to get through a 3cm branch.

Fairly certain I put the chain on the right way round, and the tension is 2-3mm as specified in the manual and the oil reservoir is full and has lubricated the new chain.
    Any ideas what else could be wrong?

9. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

If it’s a new chain it can only be on the wrong way round?

10. furious_customer

Hmm ok - pretty certain that I put it on exactly the same way as the old one - what is the easiest way to verify that it is on the correct way (other than cutting!)?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tooth direction, is for guide freely running, not gummed up, saw with cog other end.

12. furious_customer

So I clearly had fitted the blade the correct way, but it looks like what has happened is that as soon as I turned my back on it someone else has sneaked in and turned the chain round the wrong way. I have no idea who it was,but they must have been damned quick because their window of opportunity was very limited. Some people!

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Probably your neighbour as they don't want you to cut it down! ;)

KIAB likes this.
  14. furious_customer

It's the only explanation that makes sense!

KIAB and ramseyman like this.
  15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Or the nesting birds !

Did you see online clip of orangutang (is that right) ?, having a barny with truck as they were cutting down his forest home

We’ve all seen Planet of the Apes;

The animals can and do fight back if threatened :eek:

Be safe :)

16. facilities

facilities Guest

4AE9321E-7B0E-4475-B2F3-C4019EAA7D39.jpeg Watch out for them squirrels too:(

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only thing a squirrel is fit for.

upload_2018-6-6_17-33-53.jpeg

18. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

When you sort your new chain run for a few minutes then re tension as they extend when hot but remember to slacken off before it cools

furious_customer likes this.
  19. furious_customer