Tormek T7 water cooled sharpening system

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by damo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. damo

damo New Member

Im thinking of buying one. If any of you own this machine id appreciate some feedback. Thanks, Damo
    (www.tormek.com)

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

buy it. i bought the sheppach and have always regretted it

the tormek is head and shoulders above the rest of the market. they have far more accessories than sheppach and jet

buy it from axminster

if you buy before some date in mid december this year and fill in the form you will get 3 spare wheels, enough they say for a life times use

it is one hell of a deal, each stone costs around £100

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

forgot the feedback bit

this style of sharpening system is the best availiable if you have a lot of chisels / need to sharpen them regularly / a carpenter working in refurbishment

the other lobby will say hand sharpening gives a sharper edge

i dont agree, both methods do the job

although not recommended i can shave my arm with a chisel honed on my sheppach. that is more than sharp enough

4. mailee

mailee New Member

I have the sheppach and am happy with it. I agree the Tormek is a good piece of kit but at a price. Mind you with the opffer of replacement wheels it is a good deal. All of the Tormek accessories fit the Sheppach too so no problem there, I know I bought them. Only gripe I have is that the setting guage isnt that good requiring a bit of guess work.

5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

The T& has only been out for a couple of months so there won't be many about yet.

I have a 2006 and use it for everything except my Japanese chisels, very good for turning tools with the right jigs.

Jason

6. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

dirtydeeds what do you regret about the scheppach grinder.im serously concidering buying the scheppach 2000 on sale at screwfix for £99. i think its a good price,but not if its no good ?

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

stevie.c

at £99 you simply cannot go wrong

when i bought the sheppach (model T 2500) it was only £20 cheaper than the tormek avaliable at the time, hence my comment

the tormek T7 is a newer upgrade

8. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

cheers for the reply,scheppach it is then,especially as tormek accessories are compatable with the scheppach.

9. damo

damo New Member

Thanks for the replies. My old grinder is on its way out so may as well buy something decent rather than getting an old second hand one again. For the accessories you get, it is good value for money and time saving for getting the perfect cutting edge on tools. The next step is finding a supplier, Axminister as D.D mentioned is an option, my main local tool supplier as recently gone **** up, just leaving rip off merchants "T*P G*N" so it will be an online purchase.
    Cheers, Damo

10. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

tried to order the scheppach 2000 from screwfix but its temporary unavailable.