Total amateur, want to install nest

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by David Knape, Feb 12, 2021.

1. David Knape

David Knape New Member

Hi all, new here today, quick question that has probably been answered and sounds idiotic...

I live in N.I, I have an oil burner outside and an old pin dial style with a little clock in the middle thermostat in the utility room next to the kitchen.

Hot water tank is gravity fed and downstairs, I have an emersion switch next to the boiler and a fireplace with back boiler.

Question is, is the thermostat basically just an on off switch with a timer ?

Could the nest, just replace this in the utility room and have the actual controller in the living room plugged into the wall. When I switch the heating on it warms the water in the water tank for hot water aswell as the radiators and I don't have control of temp on the hwt nor do I care

So, can the nest link go on the wall where the old thermostat is ?...sorry I've no clue. Pic of old thermostat attached.

Attached Files:

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

That isn't a thermostat, it's a timeswitch. It controls on/off times, not temperature.

David Knape likes this.
  3. David Knape

David Knape New Member

See told you I've no clue, will the thermostat be on the one on the oil burner outside, there are no other controls in the house.

4. David Knape

David Knape New Member

Thanks for the reply btw.

5. Bazza-spark

There must be something inside the house that regulates the inside temperature and tells the boiler when to fire and when to shut down.

The one on the boiler will be the flow temperature (heat of water to radiators).

David Knape likes this.
  6. David Knape

David Knape New Member

No, there isn't the oil burner is either on or off or timed, there's no temp thermostat anywhere, just that switch/timer to heat up radiators or warm the water tank, ive looked everywhere even in the airing cupboard where the HWT is. Nothing in the hall or upstairs, kitchen or utility room, that's the only thing turning on the heating, wiring from back of the timer attached, sorry for taking up.your time. The oil burner outside has a dial that goes upto 75 or is set to 75, when it reaches temp it cuts off then fires up again later when it cools down...

Attached Files:

7. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Look up YouTube John Ward's channel; couple of useful videos.

David Knape likes this.
  8. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Have you got thermostatic valves on all the radiators?

9. The Happy Builder

10. David Knape

David Knape New Member

No mate, just open and close one end

11. David Knape

David Knape New Member

Nope not that I can see that, there's a copper cylinder next to the hwt in the cupboard it'd in downstairs, most n.i houses are like this...

12. David Knape

David Knape New Member

Thank you ill take a look

13. The Happy Builder

Leave the heating system alone, you need a heating engineer to sort any controls out on it.

The Nest doesn’t sound like a good idea to me, you’re better off with some old newspapers and a box of matches.

14. David Knape

David Knape New Member

I already have an open fire, generally the thermostat is me, when it's warm enough I turn it off when cold turn it on...was considering the nest more for efficiency...

15. Bazza-spark

What you want to do makes sense, however as there is no existing stat it is neither straightforward or a DIY job. I believe NI are very strict on wiring.

David Knape likes this.
  16. David Knape

David Knape New Member

Appreciate the replies, I've been in touch with a nest installer who says it can be done but they won't come this far out from where they are based for just 1 nest install...cheers tho dude.

17. The Happy Builder

Does the open fire run the central heating as well as heating the hot water cylinder?

David Knape likes this.
  18. David Knape

David Knape New Member

Yeah it has a back boiler so, say I have no oil but have coal, I cam light the fire and it heats the radiators and hot water once the pump is switched on next to the fireplace....

19. The Happy Builder

And because there’s not a room thermostat you just turn the pump off when it gets too hot?

HowThen likes this.
  20. David Knape

David Knape New Member