Touching up small scratch on car

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Rather annoyingly an old radiator I was moving, managed to dink my car leaving a small dent/scratch.

Would appreciate some advice on how I could cover it up. It is a grey VW Polo.

Have tried uploading a picture, but server is playing up. Will get a short video sorted tomorrow morning.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

3. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

If it's not dug in to the bumper and is just in the paint:
    Get a rattle can of the same colour and a smallish artist's brush.
    Spray some paint into the lid of the rattle can to use it as a little kettle.
    Using the brush, build up layers in the scratch to the point that it's ever so slightly proud of the surrounding paint. EVER so slightly. If you do too much you'll struggle to get it back level with the surrounding paint before you rub through the surrounding paint. Then you'd be looking at a bumper respray to get it nice. I've warned you!
    When it's cured, use some Meguiers scratch x on it. Buff the heck out of it and it will blend into the surrounding paint work. As mentioned above, be careful not to rub so much that you go through the paint cos that would make you cry.

If it has gone into the plastic, use a small smear of something like isopron bumper filler in the scratch first, being very careful to wipe away any filler that has made it outside of the scratch and onto the paintwork before it sets.
    Get the scratch level with the surrounding plastic then follow the paint routine above.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  4. P J Thompson

I forgot to mention, if it's metallic paint you may need to add a coat of laquer. In this instance:
    When you're doing the paint leave it ever so slightly below the surrounding paint. Then do the same method with the laquer to build it up ever so slightly proud of the paint and go to the Meguiers stage.
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  5. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers for your advice PJ.

Will give it a go and let you know how I get on.
  6. RolandK

RolandK Member

Check out the Chipex repair kits.
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  7. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Will have a look at them Roland.

Is sods law, as I had planned to move this rusty old radiator in my old banger. However the head gasket went on that.

I get a decent car from a car auction and the first day I have it, I manage to scratch.

Have done a video, as you can see the scratch is pretty shallow.

Thanks for the advice lads.

8. P J Thompson

It does look like it's dug into the plastic a little bit :( Not bad though, have done worse :) the surrounding paint looks sound and I can't see any chipped edges :)

Those chipex kits look good, they work on the same principle I described.
    My way would probably cost around the same but you'd barely use any of the materials and you'd have them left for any future work. The scratch x for example is great stuff and works a treat, way better than things like t cut.

But the same applies with the chipex, you'd have plenty left over for future stone chips and light scratches.

Pays your money, takes your choice :)

Either way it looks like you're going to need a bit of bumper filler.

For future reference, a blanket or towel laid out over the bumper will protect it when you're putting heavy stuff in and out of the boot :p
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers PJ.

Will have a go at touching it up.

It is a lesson learnt going forward.
  10. P J Thompson

It is metallic.
    The left hand edge looks the trickiest cos it's quite a steep edge. It may be a good idea to get some 1200 wet and dry and just make it a bit more shallow. Just a bit mind you. This will mean you go into the surrounding good paint a tad of course so be very gentle and methodic. No more than 2mm but if you do that it will help the new paint to blend in when it comes to the scratch x stage.
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I have a old duvet for protecting bumper, when stuffing things in the boot.
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  12. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Will dig one out from the loft. Thanks.
  13. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

14. P J Thompson

That should work but just remember to fill to the level of the plastic, not the paint.

Personally, I would go the old skool route that I laid out, I'm a little wary of miracle products but I've had a little Google over my lunch time cuppa and there are many that say the chipex works well. There are also some detractors though...especially with metallic.
    Whichever way you do it, patience and a methodical approach is your friend.

The chipex seems to have the laquer pre mixed into the paint which I would take as a plus point :)
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  15. P J Thompson

In fact, that's a major plus point! When it comes to the blending.
    With my way on metallic you'd have to do a blend before you applied the laquer and then another blend after.
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Had a similar ding on my wife's corsa, got it sorted by a company called 'Paintz' who come to your home and repair onsite circa £60 inc,
    Iron_Mike likes this.
  17. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers guys.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Other companies are available! ;)
  19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You'll need to make sure that any bit of the 'dint' is not raised above the level, or any rubbing down will expose that bit again.
  20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

By the time you've messed about you might just as well pay a guy/gal from Chipsaway to come and do it.
    Astramax likes this.