Towel Rad leak

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Nature Creature, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Nature Creature

Nature Creature New Member

[​IMG]
    I bought this rad from a plumber he plumbed in the valves then left and I put the flooring down and fitted it.
    When I opened the valves water started dripping from the two highlighted joints. I called him he came and wrapped one of them with PTFE tape and tightened the life out of the nut (left in pic) we decided that I could live with the v slow drip on the right. While it did not stop dripping while he was there, he assured me that it would, as I expected it didn't and he stopped answering my texts/calls.

I would take it out and start again but I've drilled into my tiles and cut holes in my floor and I don't think I can find a replacement to fit. The tiles are also a unique size (just to make my life easier).

The nuts are 2" (I hope Ive attached the image properly).

When I last spoke to the "plumber" he said that it had been fin in the house that he'd 'taken it out of and it must have been a gravity fed system and that the rad can't cope with my pressure fed system'. I'm no plumber but this sounds like sh*te.

Is there a fix?

Any help welcome.

Attached Files:

• rad.pdf
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  2. Not sure why its leaking but unless the fittings are totally knackered, it should be possible to take them apart, dress them with PTFE tape and/or hawk white and reassemble making sure olives and other mating faces are OK.

How competent/capable are you - can you drain the system down?

Nature Creature likes this.
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Your plumber is clearly both incompetent and dishonest.
    If he cannot create a joint that can cope with mains pressure, he should find himself a new trade. If he tells you that fitting can't cope with mains pressure, then he is lying.
    You should disassemble the joint and remake it correctly with PTFE. If you don't feel confident doing that, then you should hire a real plumber. Forget the previous idiot and put that down to a learning experience.

Heat and Nature Creature like this.
  4. Nature Creature

Yes I could but I don't really want to disturb the bottom ones which are fine. In the guys favour he did spend a good while with the PTFE tape and it didn't seem to work even after several attempts.

5. I'd say try another (competent) plumber to sort it out. You can drain the system down before he arrives, should safe some time and £££.

6. Nature Creature

Once the nut is off there is a cloth washer but the joint is pretty tight.
    Thanks for getting back to me, is there another product that I could try, as I said the original guy went to town with the PTFE to no avail.

7. rogerk101

Maybe the cloth washer needs to be replaced. He may have used a cold water washer, which doesn't last long in a hot water situation. You could also try doubling up the washer, as maybe the nut is reaching the end of the thread before the washer is sufficiently compressed.

8. Nature Creature

Not sure that I could slip a cloth washer through the gap without removing the insert and disrupting the other joints, but will try, I've only seen cloth washers in packs of 100.

9. rogerk101

I doubt that it even needs to be a cloth washer. I'm sure any quality neoprene (usually black synthesised man-made 'rubber') would work. Just buy a pack of 5 (not more than a £ or 2), use two in the troublesome joint, and keep the others for when their cloth gaskets eventually go (by which time you'll have lost them, but hopefully still remember what you did to fix this).

10. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

maybe get a washer out,inspect the mating flanges for damage.If ok measure the washer diameter and source replacements.sometimes fibre pump washers will fit.

Has the unit been heat tested,does it heat up ? Nice genuine antique item :)

11. PTFE isn't the right thing to be using on this type of joint. No wonder it's leaking.
    Turn both valves off, stick a bucket under the radiator, loosen the unions and drain the radiator.
    Take the radiator off, remove any PTFE and other gunk and, as advised above,check the mating surfaces for damage.
    Using new washers, either smear the mating surfaces or both sides of the washers with Jetblue or similar.
    Reassemble and tighten the joints. The key here is that you should be able to feel the squeeze of the washers compressing and not a "hard" tightening (hard to explain). If it feels hard you will need to add another, Jetblued, washer.
    You definitely shouldn't have to heave on the spanner - it's all in the squeeze.
    You won't need neoprene washers but you don't want the hard red fibre washers either.
    Hope this helps.