Towel Rail and Zones

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by OllyUK, Mar 24, 2018.

1. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Hi all,

Just after some advice before I call an electrician so I know the extent of the job.

We have a wet towel rail that has an electric back up. This is controlled by a switched fused spur outside the bathroom and a RCD (House is only 2 years old).

I wish to have a boost timer installed as the switched spur is always left on all day :(.

The flexi outlet and the immersion in the bathroom is over 0.6m from the shower cubicle however the towel rail edge is closer than 0.6m.

As the electrics are further from the shower than 0.6m does this mean it’s in Zone 3 or Zone 2?

What I would like is a boost/timer fitted in place of the flexi outlet, is this possible?

Also depending on what rating is needed could you suggest a reliable boost as most I see work on a relay switching on and off to maintain temperature which seems to introduce a problem with reliability.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The best place to put it would be directly above the fcu outside the bathroom, or even better, at light switch height above the fcu. You can forget about zones altogether then. Should be quite easy to fit if it's a plasterboard wall.

3. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

That was my suggestion but OH doesn’t want anything else on the wall and doesn’t want any LEDs glowing in the bedroom pointing towards the bed which some have.

4. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Think it’s time for new OH.... I originally suggested that but OH doesn’t like the white and wanted brushed chrome , also she didn’t like the look of it.

5. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Surely there’s a gap in the market to have outlet that’s rated for Zone 2 that can be boosted. I’ve seen ones that are part of the immersion heater but I presume if either one goes wrong you have to replace both

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Presuming you need some sort of ip rated timer I would imagine anything with that level of protection would look absolutely horrid under the towel rail.

7. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

They do exist: https://www.screwfix.com/p/kudox-electronic-heating-element-controller-800w/64054 which don’t look too bad they allow boost of 90 mins but they work on relay to switch on/off and not reliable just wondered if there’s a better more reliable one

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That's doesn't provide a clock timed function (ie if you want the thing to turn on at 6am every day). It is a timer, so you have to turn it on and then it will provide electric for a period.

Deleted member 11267's solution is the best. Just replace the switched fused spur with it and job is done. There's no lights to disturb the OH.