Track Saw Vs Circular Saw

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Deland01, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Deland01

Deland01 Member

Guys,

Im looking to invest in a new Circular cordless saw but Im could do with some advice on what to go with.

I want something more powerful & accurate than my current saw (corded Evolution) so I started looking at track saws. I then realised Makita do a "guide rail adapter" for their standard circular saw so you can use this on a rail just like a track saw.

If I bought a specific track saw like a Makita DSP601ZJU can you still use this as a standard circular saw or do you have to use it on the track only?

How accurate is a standard circular saw with a "rail guide adapter" compared to as a track saw?

I don't want to shell out a load of cash and them a month later be wishing Id bough the other option.

What's everyone's opinion?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just buy a track saw... I got the titan for £60 but not that happy with the track but plan to buy a 1400mm track... Unless your doing roof work or cutting 8x4 boards buy a track saw and rail clamps.. For doors it a must own

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Track saw, superior, & some you can get a adaptor plate to to use track with a router.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

OMG.. I didn't know that.. I just run router down side of track at the moment.. [​IMG]

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:rolleyes:

I use to use Kickback Stop on my Makita track as a guide stop when using router adaptor for stopped rebate cuts,found it easier than running router down side of track & having wood offcut as a stop for repetitive cuts.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've always (less than a year) used the track as a guide. My router is 50mm off line so easy to mark and clamp but my problem is my router is not great... Getting back on topic I think a track saw is a must over a circular saw imo... Plus the track is useful

KIAB likes this.
  7. Deland01

Deland01 Member

Can you use a track saw for cross cuts like a standard circular saw or do you need to use the track?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.:)

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You mentioned in your opening post you were looking for something more powerful, the question is what are you trying to cut that your corded saw struggles with

Several of the plunge saws are only 1200 w slightly more powerful than the Evolution saw.

You can get adaptors for most circular saws to use with rails or you can make a cheap jig https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/saws/two-essential-saw-cutting-guides/

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of the advantages of Festool, the high compatibility across the range saws; routers even the jigsaw can use the same rail. Although puzzled why you would use a jigsaw over any other tool on a rial .....

11. Deland01

Deland01 Member

Ive had the saw a few years now and its had some serious hammer and its noticeably less powerful now than when I got it, A few deep cuts Ive done recently have really struggled to the point where the blade got snagged on 2 of them. I realise I could have made 2 passes but when Ive done this in the past the finish has been terrible as the saw has drifted. Ive been using a home made jig as a track but the saw keeps pulling to the right when I get to the end, Ive tried another blade & re-made a different jig but I still end up with the same issue so Im not sure what's going on.

One thing which is extremely annoying is the power cord as about 85cm long which is a massive pain in the ***. This is now really my only main saw (except mitre saw) which is corded so im ready to get rid of the cord. I find myself tangled up in an extension cable or messing about with the power cord constantly.

So Ive just bough a Makita kit

https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/makita...18v-lxt-brushless-plunge-saw-5-0ah-kit-1.html

Thanks for the advice guys

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

13. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Doubt if you have gone wrong buying the Makita going on my corded one.

Problems with the other - a few all can have. Blade needs replacing pretty obvious but making sure the blade is aligned when it's used with any variation of a straight edge isn't so obvious.

John
    -

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had a Makita SP6000,superb kit,regret selling it now going to get another in a few months.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The only drawback with a tracksaw is that you really need extraction with it, then with the hose it negates the benefits of having it "cordless"

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same with cordless router.:)

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a cordless Festool jigsaw and chucks dust everywhere unless I use the extractor and then lose all the advantages of it being cordless :(

Same as the Festool cordless circular saw which will fit a standard Festool rail works well but so much dust without the extractor.

I must be getting too soft using the extractor these days ...

18. brown1eliza

brown1eliza New Member

Which saw cuts with perfection? Which product do I select between these two?
    I have a brand new craftsman router table. Can you tell me best tool for it?

19. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Looks like unusual spam going on the link.

20. thesaurusleicester

thesaurusleicester New Member

Want to get the best price with out sacrificing quality? You’re in luck; this blog post was created to help you get the best priced circular saw that fits your cutting needs!