Trailer wheel bearing replacement

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Rb0107, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Rb0107

Rb0107 New Member

Hi all

I'm replacing bearings in my small trailer and have a few questions.

I would just buy the entire hub but the balled bearing types seem impossible impossible find.

I pressed out the bearings off the hub with a lot of effort and have dinted it up mainly on the inside flange as seen in pics ? Does this matter I couldn't think why it would but just checking. Also there is a lot of rust in inner bore can I take this off with sand paper?

Finally the bearings have spacers that are larger than the 1 inch axle in width. Is this normal? And should I grease the spindle and the space in-between the spacer

thanks

Ryan

Attached Files:

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

You will need to file away those "dints" to aid pressing the new bearing in and press on the outer race only, Lightly emery cloth the rust away but only lightly, dont go mad on it and I dont think you need to grease the spindle unless somebody says otherwise.

3. Rb0107

Rb0107 New Member

Thanks just pumps that's great just finally so it is normal for the spacer sleeve to be larger in inner diameter than the spindle? I sort of envisaged it being an exact fit to take the loader as the two bearings rotated but I'm not very experienced with trailer repair

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

I know about pressing bearings in & out but nowt about repairing trailers, the spacer sounds ok unless there are signs of metal having been worn away. I would gusess the diametre is roughly the same size as the inner race of the bearing.

Arent there any youtube videos to watch?

Rb0107 likes this.
  5. Rb0107

Rb0107 New Member

Cheers yeh it is the same as the outer diameter of the inner race. I just wasn't expecting a clearance on the shaft as sort of envisaged the spacer staying still while the ball bearings rotate either side of it. Because it's larger than shaft I was suspecting whether it had spun or not. Youtube is great for the tapered type bearings with castle nut but mine is the sealed for life ball type with one shot nut and harder to get info. Cheers