Transformer-Free Lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Carpozijr, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Hello, could someone please explain what Transformer-Free Lighting is? I am about to buy halogen downlights for my kitchen and want to zone the lights in the kitchen using a double dimmer. What considerations should I make in order to do this with respect to the type of lighting I buy?

Many thanks in advance,

Pamela

2. andyboy

andyboy New Member

probobly main halogen not L/V.

3. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Use MAINS 240V halogen fittings and not Low Voltage 12V ones.

You should then be ok.

4. RES

RES New Member

Transformer free just means mains voltage, as opposed to Low voltage fed from a transformer. All you need to bear in mind for dimming circuits is the total power for each gang or zone. Double dimmers normally work up to 250 or 300Watts per gang or switch. You can get higher wattages, but cost can get fairly silly.

5. lastword

lastword New Member

You need to downrate most dimmers 20% or so when used with mains halogen.

6. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Thanks for the replies guys - very helpful.

Pamela

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

or you could use a brush Pamela..:)

8. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Pamela,

How is the bathroom going? Did you get it sorted with the builder

DWD

9. talkinghorse

talkinghorse Member

Don't know about anyone else but I've always found the Mains voltage Halogens to have a very short bulb life, much prefer LV which also gives a much nicer light (colour temp much closer to natural light than Mains halogen?)

10. ADSL Nation

ADSL Nation New Member

Agreed

GU50's gauranteed life of 6000 hours or whatever it is 3 months old and their history. LV 2 years still going strong. I think maybe the LV transformer smooths out some of the mains spikes etc.

11. Carpozijr

Carpozijr New Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I ended up buying 2 single 400v (max 250v when used with halogen) dimmers for the kitchen and I put 3 halogen lights on one and five on another (to zone the cooking and eating areas). The highest spec double dimmer I could get was 200v per gang (less again with halogen).

DWD - the bathroom is coming along nicely, I never broached the subject of aquapanel of the like...I decided to let the guys get on with their stuff. I'll settle for a written guarantee instead ;)

unphased - as ever, my hero ;)

Pamela