transgender and the trades

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tina lucinda lane, Nov 27, 2016.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Perhaps 'principled' was a bad choice of word too use.
    As in, you've taken it as a principle of yours, too hate the guy and disregard every word that spew's from his gob.
    Therefore, your logic and reason has been clouded by emotion.

But, who am I too pick fault? I feel the same way about, Junker. :)

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would stop using commas Longs, I think you would make more sense without.

3. Every word? I 'disregard'?

No, I hear the guy (far too often) and I have a pretty good handle on his style and modus - classic post-truth.

Not every word he says is rubbish, just like not every word Trump says is rubbish. But they have both made it clear that you should treat what they do say with extreme caution. Extreme being the word...:rolleyes:

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Apparently, from fact checkers, Trump came up with 22 original lies every day, he repeated all his original lies again and again.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Quite a hoo har going on in Canada at the moment relating to Bill C-16, amending the Canadian Human Rights Act to add gender identity and gender expression to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination. There are already 31, yes count them, 31 genders registered in New York. The fear of Bill C-16 is that is it will restrict freedom of speech, not by telling you what you can't say, but what you must say when addressing someone, according to their preferred gender pronoun (Ze and Hir are two common ones but the list could be endless). A Clinical Psychologist by the name of Jordan Peterson at the University of Toronto is leading the charge against this legislation, its interesting stuff but also rather scary.

6. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

welcome to trying to please everybody and pleasing none

7. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Just please yourself and sod everyone else, otherwise the next thing you know your life is over, you've been miserable for most of it and still have no mates.
    I have several gay friends and my sister is a lesbian, it doesn't matter to me what you are, it's HOW you are that matters.
    One of the places I work at has an old bloke who's really funny about anyone who isn't "straight" , Anyway my lesbian sister was getting married and we were talking about it, now to avoid upsetting the old guy and starting him off, we refer to her as "the one who bats for the Aussies"
    So we were having a discussion and one of the lads walked in, mid conversation, "so your sisters getting married then is she ?" he asked "yes that's right" I replied, "is that the one who bats for the Aussies? " he asked, at which point the old guy piped up "oi, you didn't tell me you had a famous cricketer in the family"
    Cue much laughing, choking and copious amounts of tea being sprayed everywhere.

8. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

hehe i hear that my father in law is one of those (homophobes) and yet he knows im trans and is ok about it (crazy like)

9. Blood is thicker than water, as they say. So you will often overlook your prejudices if it applies to one of your own.

Not very reassuring, tho'.

It's part of the "I hate blacks - but that Mohammed Ali cove is ok" type of 'having your cake and eating it'.

It is really quite incredible how little we have evolved in the 'intellectually honest' stakes.

Sadly, when it comes down to a family member or friend finding it hard to cope with such issues when it applies to their 'own', it's usually because of the fear of how it reflects on them; they are the ones imposing this embarrassment on themselves, and it's not really about the other individual at all. How pitiful is that?

The problem with humanity is that we are simply a slightly more evolved form of every other animal on this planet. As such, we are knobbled by the innate or instinctive prejudices that constitute the 'survival of the fittest'.

We are not as rational as our development would suggest. We are absolutely not a clear-thinking species.

Well, perhaps some of us are :rolleyes:. But at least half of us are going to condemn the whole species to hell.

Whether it's not being able to rationalise and accept the differences between us - you are gay/trans/whatevs, so what?! - or whether it's the assured descent into chaos that's about to hit the developed world with right-wing nationalism and - almost certainly - conflict.

You know what? There is sod all we can do about what's about to happen in the world. Europe is going to go far-right and then fracture. Lithuania is going to get invaded by Russia. The united West will be no longer united and will not want to intervene. Why? Because Hungary, for one, will welcome Russia's annexation. All the 'minorities' will be penalised and persecuted.

We are fubbared. I can only conclude it is mankind's destiny. We are but a slightly more sophisticated animal.

Sorry, what was this thread about...? :oops:

Joe95 and Dr Bodgit like this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Earth, as an entity, will probably be more balanced when we are extinct but whether it survives that long is a moot point.

11. On that cheerful note...