Transit Custom timing belt recall

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by woodbutcherbower, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Ste.b

Ste.b New Member

No sarcasim just banter....

Appreciate the advice

jonathanc likes this.
  2. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

My 16plate custom got a recall notice a few weeks ago for a cam belt check and a software update.
    Its got 117000 on the clock. Took it in yesterday.
    Dealer told me the cam belt is in poor condition, and they are replacing it foc, but couldn't do it immediately due to busy workshop.
    I didn't fancy the risk of driving it and having the belt fail. Would Ford have fixed a busted engine on the house?
    So, crying because I don't have my van til next week. Smiling because I'm not having to shell out for a cam belt replacement.
    They have lent me a transit custom for the time being though, so altogether top marks to Allen Ford in Bath

3. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

Does this affect the 2.2 or only the 2.0? And which years of Custom?

4. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Complex question. I believe some years of the 2.2 TDCi had a timing chain, which I thought was better. However my regualr mechanic pointed to a couple of BMW's with wrecked engines due to cam chain failing....so who knows? I'm a chippy, not a grease monkey.
    Try this link and see if it helps https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts...nsit-custom/transit-custom-box/58545-2-2-tdci

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Personally I'd have a chain any day: they tend to make God-awful noises before letting go.

Rosso likes this.
  6. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

The older ones did, its true , I had an XK that sounded like a sack of spanners for 6 months before I could get to a rebuild. According to aforementioned mechanic though, the modern ones give no hint, they just let go.
    Thing is though, its nothing remarkable for a car to do 150,000miles. Yes, it needs a cam-belt change at 80k, but apart from wearing items, it'll do 150k without having the head off. Usually its the chassis rusting and the suspension mounts that spell the end.
    Those Triumphs and morrises and Austins (and Jags) might have had a reliable timing chain, but the contacts were constantly needing maintenance, the carbs needed tuning, the oil changed every 4000. And most cars were fit for the knacker at 75,000

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Timing chains themselves usually last well if treated to regular oil changes. I've regularly serviced a family member's Corsa (infamous for chain failure) and after over 140k miles absolutely no chain noise.
    Failure on many cars is often age-related as the plastic guides can break up due to the constant heat cycles.

8. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

My parents in laws mini suffered this exact fate, they did manage to get BMW to stump up a good chunk of the engine replacement cost after a lot of complaining, since the vehicle was always dealer serviced and wasnt far out of warranty and low mileage...

9. Cocobombom

Cocobombom New Member

Hello,

I've just found this forum and am looking for some advice please.

I have a 2018 transit custom sport (new facelift model i think) that I use for my business. Today my engine failed out of the blue. (Brakes went, engine oil light came on and then the engine died) I have only done 63k miles. I see that there have been recalls for the wetbelt due to it causing engine failire and have checked my vin number, but no recalls on mine. Due to the van only being 4 years old and the low mileage, do I have any recourse with Ford? I have been told by a mechanic friend that I need a new engine.

Thanks for any help you can give as I will have no income until I get the van fixed.

10. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Mate, that is tragic.
    Was it a cam belt failure?
    Was it the 2.0l eco blue diesel?
    Was the oil changed when the van demanded it?
    If it was, then you certainly have a claim against Ford. They are aware of the cam-belt issue, and are recalling them for inspection/replacement. Presumably they started with the older ones first, like my 16 plater, last month. And presumably they would have got to yours presently.
    Get in touch with Ford and see what they say- the Transit brand is a good earner for Ford, and that reputation is worth protecting for them.
    BTW, whereabouts are you? You say you use the van for business and no income until its fixed- are you a tradesman or a driver?

11. Cocobombom

Cocobombom New Member

Hi Rosso,

Yes, I believe it was cam belt failure. Its the eco blue 2.0 diesel. I'm a professional dog walker so the van is all kitted out with safety steel cages so its not as simple as renting another van. I've had the van serviced every year since I bought it at 1 year old using independent garages who have used Ford parts. I assume the oil has been changed during this ( I'm a female who knows nothing about the workings of vans so I rely on the experts to do what is needed). There was certainly no engine oil warning notification coming up until my brakes went followed soon after by the engine dying. I will call Ford today, but I wanted to be fully prepared as they will probably try and fob me off.

Thank you for your reply.

12. Markwhyatt

Markwhyatt New Member

How did you get on with this?
    Exactly same thing has just happened to my 18 plate / 75k miles transit Luton
    Brakes went dead then engine cut out
    Had my local mechanic have a quick look and he reckons wet belt definitely failed

13. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Oof! Get on to Fords, via your local Transit dealer. Its a well known issue with the 2.0l engine, and recalls are occurring. Persist with your case, threaten to go to the press. The fact that this very widespread problem is not more widely known outside the motor trade, shows that Ford's are **** what is necessary to keep people from complaining.

14. Markwhyatt

Markwhyatt New Member

Thanks for the response
    Yes I’m going to get on to them tomorrow
    Are you aware of any cases where they’ve paid out after the 3 year warranty expiry?
    I did speak to ford customer relations to test the water and they said the part is covered by 10 year warranty/144k miles
    But would need to be assessed by ford technicians for service history etc

15. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

I assume that every time your van has had one of its panic attacks about oil, you have had the oil replaced with proper fully synthetic diesel oil ? If you have, and the van was not having one of these episodes when it failed, you should be covered. They will measure the amount of diesel in your sump oil, and if it is within tolerance, you ought to be ok.
    Please keep us posted on how this pans out.

Why was my last post starred? It was meant to say Fords are doing what is necessary to keep people from complaining

16. Ste.b

Ste.b New Member

Wouldn't hold your breath with ford customer care it is a joke almost as bad as a ford itself I've just had my bcm replaced at 32tho water damage from washer pump plus all water that gets in engine bay all over your ecu that will be next on the list... you would think a child had designed these vans, my turbo was done at 19tho but I was pleased at that because at the time mechanic thought my belt must have started coming apart and gone through the turbo new engine 9k so I was lucky oil was clean!
    These vans are not fit for purpose but they look good I guess. But good luck

19plate custom sport

17. Dale keeble

Dale keeble New Member

Wondering if you could help me? I bought such a transit in dec 21, a 2017 with 100,000 on the clock. Now, 5 years older with 123,000 on the clock, just last week the belt failed. Since doing some digging today I found out about the recall and that it was recalled to John grosse in Jan 2021 and the belt was deemed "ok". Do you think that my engine would be under warranty and should be replaced by Ford? Or at least fixed? Thanks

18. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Dec 21 is only a year and a bit ago. Presumably you've had 3 or 4 oil changes done in the past 20000 miles?
    Ford's might well claim that they had done a recall inspection, and a routine service in the past 20k miles would have required the belt replaced...
    All the same, see what they say. Nothing ventured....

19. Paul1

Paul1 New Member

Interesting reading through all of these comments. I have a 2016 transit custom with the 2.0 engine and have just had a failed wet belt at 83,000 miles. Brought the van a few years ago at 60,000 and it’s had a full service from new. Interestingly, I took it in for a recall in October 22’ and Ford said the wet belt was fine. Since then I have done 10,000 miles and had a service and the belt has failed. Ford have sofar been really helpful and have hinted towards a replacement engine. It’s currently with a local Ford dealership who want to inspect it as my local garage were the ones to diagnose it as a wet belt failure.keeping everything crossed as I do not have 8k!

Rosso likes this.
  20. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Good luck with your claim. I very much doubt if FORD would of even looked at the condition of the belt, and even if they did, did they give you written confirmation of such...
    Real world, this is another **** design from a major manufacture of motor vehicles.
    Lets hope they stand by you

Timbo66 likes this.