Treating Plywood and sealing edges

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Combo, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Combo

Combo Member

I'm restoring an old horse drawn cart, using 18 mm exterior ply. I've got it all cut to size, but am wondering how to treat it to make it last longer, particularly with respect to the edges.

I'd thought of several coats of wood preserver, soaking the edges well, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/69133/Paint/Wood-Care/Cuprinol-5-Star-Wood-Treatment

and then overcoating with woodstain, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29459/Paint/Wood-Care/Ronseal-5Yr-Woodstain-Satin-Antique-Pine

Do I need to do anything to fill the small gaps in the ply edges with something ? If so, what ?

I'm hoping to keep it stored under cover, which might only be a tarpaulin, when not in use, to keep the worst of the weather off it.

Thanks

2. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

what ply have you used as wbp or far eastern shouldnt have any gaps unless its cheap chines rubbish in which case throw it away and start again

3. Combo

Combo Member

what ply have you used as wbp or far eastern shouldnt
    have any gaps unless its cheap rubbish

Not exactly sure. It was sold as "exterior". Paid £16 for a 8' x 4' sheet (18mm), which was a lot less than the £28 wanted by Wickes for the same. There are no gaps around the orignal external edges, but some have appeared where I've cut the sheet.

in which case throw it away and start again
    Oh Dear !

4. cabinet

cabinet New Member

May be consider using marine ply. And the price sky high

5. robllj

robllj New Member

treat with cuprinol 5* if you are going to paint it or cup exterior if not.try to make sure that any water or moisture can run off i.e. no water traps.

6. ejj

ejj Member

Have you considered putting lipping on the edges, would give a neat finish, finish off by a few coats of marine grade clear varnish.

EJJ

7. busy builder

busy builder New Member

If I were you I wouldn't use Cuprinol I'd use Butinox 1 and 3.
    Then in 5 or 6 years time you may want to give it another coat or two of Butinox 3.

OR

You could use Cuprinol then in a year or two give it another couple of coats :)