Tree pruning

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Dot99, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

What are the rates charged? Seem to vary, even into the £100ph.

I'm not after the trees being lopped height wise, just pruned/trimmed to take the thickness back.

They're not overly high, say 5m. Definitely not higher than the house.

2. facilities

facilities Guest

Dot you need to contact “Special Branch” :)

DIY womble, DIYperson and Astramax like this.
  3. facilities

facilities Guest

Dot seriously, how long is a peice of string? £100.00 sounds expensive but It depends on access, how much plant they will have in site, there is usually 2 or 3 guys, I guess the jobs been assessed and that’s how the quotes have been arrive at.

I’m sure some of the guys on here will be along shortly with more advice, but you need to give more info about the job

I’m not a fan of an hourly rate this does not tell you how much the job will cost, ask for a quote for the job and see if you are happy with it

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

My peeps charge a daily rate around £600 incl VAT, that's for 2 people and a chipper. If you want specific work done, best get a fixed price quotation.

5. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Bit of tree shaving/pruning with a chainsaw. 3 men. 2 hours and 15 minutes exact. One man removed the branches to the van. Cost was just under 300. 150 per hour, seriously. Feeling a tad robbed. No more searching on ch***atr*de I think

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did you provide the tea and biscuits?

DIY womble and Dot99 like this.
  7. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Ok I saved an additional 50p

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

;) only kidding you:D

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

£300 smackers can really hurt at times like that! :(

10. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

I don't think it's as difficult as being a plumber or gas engineer. Just can't justify the charge. (Or they're dishonest). I get it over it:rolleyes:

11. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

£100 per hour - hmm - sounds more like a high-class hooker than a tree surgeon.

12. facilities

facilities Guest

Possibly Dot there are too many guys on the job, did you ask for “Tree Fellas” and they possibly misheard you :)

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

They're provided a service for a price...how long it took them is irrelevant. Did you get other quotes?

Does sound a tad expensive, for £300 I get 2 people for 1/2 a day...this was 3 people for 2.25 hours, but not extortionate.

14. JayDH

JayDH New Member

My Dad just had a load of work done. £500 a day. 2 blokes, chainsaws, climbing trees, trailer etc. They chopped it all up into chunks we can move and split.

Basically, my Dad isn't climbing those trees. I'd have to fork out £500 on gear and it would probably take me a week to do what they did in a day, and they did it safely!

Another mate of mine (lives too far away) basically charges the same. So, if you're being quoted over £500 a day for 2 lads, I'd speak to tree surgeons rather than general gardeners.