Tree root in the way of new slabs!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by JamieFarmer, May 11, 2021.

1. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

Morning all.

I'm a DIY'er here, so excuse the lack of knowledge and experience! I am planning to lay new slabs in 2 corners of my garden that were previously paved with random bricks and slabs of different sizes with some sandstone slabs, but when I pulled up the old slabs and started to dig the ground I came across a big tree root in the corner of one of the areas that is close to the surface and is not going anywhere! What are my options here to get around this? The only thing I can think of is to raise the ground up and level on top of it, which wasn't the original plan, but that root is there to stay! Hopefully you can see it in the pictures attached. The size of the are itself isn't huge and will be used mainly to store the kids toys etc. on, so is a sub-base needed for it?
    Patio.jpg

Cheers all.

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

3. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

How far away is the tree it’s attached to?
    How much lower than the root are you needing to go?

4. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

Well, I was planning on going almost level with the lawn. I think the tree is actually on the other side of the fence in my neighbours garden!

5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

How big is the tree?

6. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

7. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

Not massive, and to be honest I don't even think it's still alive!

8. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Need to know how big the tree is and how close to the base of the tree the root is really

9. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

I'm guessing it's the tree to the right of the fence in the picture.
    20210511_112950.jpg

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Obviously the neighbours have decided they do not want a large tree in the corner.

Dig down by the gravel board and cut away as close as possible, then dig out the next couple of feet. Back fill and compact.

11. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I use a jig-saw to remove tree roots under paving sometimes. Dig around and under the root then cut it out. Have also used a hammer and chisel.

12. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Given picture, personally I would take saw through root and take out or chip away at it with an axe to give me required depth

13. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

Ok, thanks all.

14. FlyByNight

And if you don't have a suitable saw or axe, then a razor sharp shovel or spade will slice through it.

JamieFarmer likes this.
  15. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

Nice one, that's tonight's plans sorted then!!

16. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

dig down at side of graqvel board and use a reciprocal saw to cut thru roots.Can hire one if needed for day.Or even a small chain saw if confident enough and use safely

JamieFarmer likes this.
  17. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

So last night's activity involved a lot of digging. Now just need need to somehow cut and remove the root!

20210511_203456_2.jpg

18. FlyByNight

Do NOT use a chain saw - you will ruin the chain and throw up sharp stones everywhere.

If you have an axe - easy.

If not, get your spade and if you have a sharpening stone or kitchen steel work on the edge to get it nice and sharp - it should not take much. Then, wearing gloves, loosely grip the shaft with one hand and grip the handle with teh other. Holding it 2feet/600mm above the root pushing is down hard and fast - it will cut in. Repeat and repeat - you will finally cut through at each end.

JamieFarmer likes this.
  19. JamieFarmer

JamieFarmer Member

Borrowing an axe and giving that a go. It's not too thick so hopefully won't take much.

20. FlyByNight

With an axe look to make a 60 degree wedge shape. A couple of chops from the left, then right then left ... take debris out and keep going. With a sharp axe - 15 minutes to sort that root.

JamieFarmer likes this.