Tree saw

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by cindy, Dec 13, 2003.

1. cindy

cindy New Member

Can anyone recommend a good easy to use saw for cutting trees

Attached Files:

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

chainsaw....

3. supersparky

supersparky New Member

what about a cesaw? they are reay effective
    BR

4. cindy

cindy New Member

Are you following me. Do I know you. What is a chain saw or is this another of your rudenesses

5. cindy

cindy New Member

If you could be serious for a minute. My father was a cabinet maker for the duke of perhaps I should not mention that. but I have all his tools mainly wrapped in oily cloths. He has many saws some very large. I thought I could try them to see if they were any good, But I thought if I found a picture of a saw for trimming down trees I could check to see if I had one. He's got lots of axe things but I dont think I could handle them. surely someone knows what a tree saq is

6. kesh

kesh New Member

I wouldn't reccommend a chainsaw to anyone who has no experience! - That is MADNESS. Those things are LETHAL- If your'e not prepared for kickback, you could easily cause serious harm or even death!!

cindy, what is the approx diameter of the tree?

7. supersparky

supersparky New Member

like i said, cesaw would be a better option, eh kesh?;-)

BR

8. Ben

Ben New Member

I agree with Kesh, don't even think about using a chainsaw unless you have had training, they can be deadly. Cindy, if the diameter of the tree isn't too big, then a good sharp handsaw will probably do the job. I've used a bow-saw in the past for cutting trees, try searching for one on the Screwfix homepage so you can see what they look like. Actually, here is the product code for one: 15468 Good luck! Ben

9. kesh

kesh New Member

LOL, I was thinking cindy could get away with a bow saw, I've used one to cut a tree with about 1' diameter - took a while though.

10. Ben

Ben New Member

I can never say that tree cutting is one of my favourite jobs! Especially when you have to remove the roots! I think you should always prepare yourself for the fact it could take more than a little while to cut through the tree!

11. cindy

cindy New Member

I dont know how to measure the diameter but its over 7 feet round

12. kesh

kesh New Member

BTW cindy, cut a vee in the direction you want the tree to fall approx 1/2 way, then weaken the remaining part from behind - KEEP OUT OF THE WAY when it starts to "crack". Make sure it won't hit anything on the way down. If it's too tall for that, chop some off the top first. You might want to cut it about 6' up so you can chop some of the roots & then have some leverage with the remaining stump. An axe is good for the roots.

13. cindy

cindy New Member

Thats near the bottom which I want to leave to carry on growing. I think I'll need an electric thing to cut it all up to burn anyway so what is a bow saw is that a make is it electric I dont like the idea of those motor ones

14. kesh

kesh New Member

Right, forget the last post & get a pro in!

15. Ben

Ben New Member

16. kesh

kesh New Member

Crossing posts here, a bowsaw is a hand saw with teeth in a straight line for cutting green wood.

17. anglebox

anglebox New Member

Anyone any thoughts on the merits of using an oxy-aceteline burner

18. cindy

cindy New Member

Thankyou for replying
    I dont know if I am any closer to anything. A bit confused but right now I am more concerned with keeping warm. My heating is not running due in part to some mad electrician or such.
    I shall hope to find an electrical saw for the tree. A bit of hard work will keep me warm and I'll have another look at my fathers saws as you mentioned Kesh or was it ben. I don't think he had a saw like the one you described though. I will write your instructions down and try to fathom all. Thankyou all again

19. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Re Chainsaws Some hire companies don't even have them anymore.......too dangerous!!

20. cindy

cindy New Member

All this talk of danger. I used to ride an Indian motorcycle in kenya not on roads they didn't have any and zebra crossings were quite different. Do they make electric chain saws and how do they work