Trend airshield pro

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Sep 4, 2019.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

Does anyone use these on site working with MDF? I'm considering getting one..

2. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

I had one for a little while when I went through a bad period with my lungs due to too much dust inhalation. I did not find it to be brilliant because it's too cumbersome to be bothered with when working on-site (in my case in peoples private homes). I am sure it's reasonably protective at keeping out dust but I find wearing it makes me feel disconnected from my environment,also I found cold air blowing across my face a bit irritating as well. I am sure for very dusty situations i.e woodturning it is ideal but if you are moving around a lot not so good for me, I ended up selling it. Suffice to say my lungs got better, especially since I got better dust extraction equipment off the saws, sanders and tools I use. I always use M3 disposable ps3 rated fold flat valve masks nowadays, they are so comfortable you can forget you are wearing them and they last a long time too.

John Bunyan and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

Thanks Mr Moose. I can imagine it feels strange with one on. I'd already ordered one before you posted so I'll give it a try. I do need a better dust extractor than I have to connect to my on site power tools which I'll get soon. One of the problems I have with dust masks is my glasses fogging up and moisture building up under the mask so if you know of ones that overcome these problems please let me know. May I ask which specific dusts contributed to your lung complaint? Has the issue completely gone away or is it long term? It's a bit of a faff disconnecting and reconnecting a hose from and to a few different power tools and I don't always do it because I'm making do with a titan hoover which isn't great at all, so when I get a Makita one I will take the time to do it properly to protect my self from lung damage. Thanks

4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I have one and they are good especially for working with MDF. Mine fitted ok and was actually a lot cooler (temperature) to wear than I thought it would be. They are workshop visors and wouldn't use them for demolition or really dusty work. However, they are used in a lot of unusual places like working on grain silo's - I remember one guy's life was saved when he fell in and the grain turned to the equivalent of quicksand and buried him. The airshield stopped the grain going into his airways and managed to suck enough air between grain to keep him alive whilst he was being dug out.

I stopped using MDF a while ago and haven't used it since especially now I have moved to the Festool kit.

John Bunyan likes this.
  5. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

Thanks Sospan. I actually sent it back for now until I've tried a few dust masks. Do you think the airshield would be good for on site work? Possibly wearing it most of the day of cutting lots of MDF? I may end up getting the airshield still.
    Can you suggest any particular pp3 masks that would not fog glasses and comfortable for most of the day?

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

The airshield is really comfortable and didn't fog up. Apart from not being a hard hat there isn't a reason why it couldn't be used on site.

this get good reviews https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-apf-10-evolution-powered-respirator-101809

These I have worn a lot https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-SM-S...MASK+Small/Medium&qid=1568139533&s=diy&sr=1-3

are cheap and quite comfortable.

7. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

GVS ELIPSE HALF MASK RESPIRATOR P3 (6922G)

From screwfix and doesn't fog up glasses

8. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

Originally I was sanding paint and had a mask but no extractor hose on my sander, I got a bad chest for around 4 months from that. I also had problems from MDF in the past. I now have an M class Dewalt vac in my workshop with a Thein baffle and that has made a big improvement. I still wear a mask as well though, I use a festool extractor on site.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 10:00 PM