Trickle Vents in a french door ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Cack3r, May 3, 2006.

  1. Cack3r

    Cack3r New Member


    Just had a Kitchen extension completed. The Architect put notes to the effect of Trickle Vents required in any new windows.

    Well, we re-used the old window and a new french door with fixed sidelights was put in.

    The building inspector wants trickle vents in the french doors ? The builder thought this odd as they are normally only placed in windows.

    Is he being over zealous, or is it required. The old window, does not have trickle vents (its above the kitchen sink) and he has NOT asked for trickle vents here ??
  2. cheltonian

    cheltonian New Member

    You might have missed the boat on this one. Yes they are required for regs.
    You can get an add-on section which incorporates the trickle vent in the head of the door, but a bit late for that now. It is possible to retro fit vents into the top of the door leaves.
  3. Cack3r

    Cack3r New Member

    Hi cheltonian,

    Thanks for the info. It doesn't seem afterall it will be too much hassle to retrofit them. I just wanted to confirm their location. Looking at this picture ..

    .. forgetting that it's a window, the location is the same, ie on the face of the door at the top (which i assume is the head of the door).

    Since the purpose is to provide ventilation i assume a drill hole straight through the door would suffice. What is normally on the inside of the door. I can't imagine there would be 'just' a hole. I can visualise what would be there as I don't have trickle vents on any of my windows (all installed pre regs by previous owner).
  4. jonah.

    jonah. New Member

    Should be able to retro-fit - not sure though. Best to check with the supplier of the door. Is it pastic, metal or timber?

    The standard vent units have the hood detail as shown on your link externally with a similar one internally with a flap than can be opened / closed. These are available in a limited coulours to suit the door / window

    Cheers - jonah
  5. Cack3r

    Cack3r New Member

    Hi jonah,

    They're plastic, ie just like the window i linked too. I'm having the builder check with the door supplier. I just wanted to do my homework so i understand what the builder will tell me when he gets back to me :p


  6. jonah.

    jonah. New Member

    Don't let building control force you to put in loads of vents as per new regs - You say your extension is nearly done and therefore the old vent regs apply to you as approved previous to change.

    Might be obvious but best to check. You probably only need one but if it has to go in door rather than head frame then would look funny in only one leaf!!

    Good luck - jonah
  7. Cack3r

    Cack3r New Member

    Hi jonah,

    Well actually, the extension was finished 2-3 weeks ago. It was the visiting building control officer who basically asked 'where are the trickle vents on the french doors ?'.

    This was basically on the final inspection. So now the approval cert is pending the trickle vents .. oh and the engineering calculations on the steels, but thats another story.

    The architects drawings only ever mentioned trickle vents on 'windows'.

    So it was a bit of a suprise.

    The builder has gone back to building control and spoken to them, but they're adamant i have to have it/them (dont exactly know if they want 1 or 2 or where (door leaf or head/frame) to be honest.

    Bit of a pain really.


  8. jonah.

    jonah. New Member

    The architects note would have been a standard note that he puts on all his drawings but he should have been more specific in this case. Are there other windows in the room served by the french doors. If so, and the other window has trickle vents they may prove sufficient without the need for extra in the french doors - worth a look see!

    Cheers - jonah
  9. jonah.

    jonah. New Member

    oooppps - re-read your first post sorry about the other window question.
    Is there a door between the extension and the adjoining room or is it an arch way. If so the two rooms can be classed as 1 for ventilation purposes and use a trickle vent from the adjoing room. There are restrictions but worth a look see!

  10. jonah.

    jonah. New Member

    Also (sory to go on but I keep thinking of alternatives) some building controls (by no means all) accept two stage locking ironmongery for trickle vent. If they accept this (its a long shot) you could replace the lever lock on the existing window with a two stage opening / night vent lever. Also cheeper than a retro fit tricklevent!!!

    Cheers - Jonah
  11. Cack3r

    Cack3r New Member

    Hi jonah,

    Unfortunately, there's no archway. Only two internal doors, one to the living room, the other to the hallway.

    As for the window that was moved, it does actually have a two stage closing mechanism, ie it can be locked closed or locked slightly open to provide ventilation.

    I guess maybe that's why it doesn't need a trickle vent, although i've never told the builder or the building control officer this.

    Since they haven't even mentioned the window, ONLY the french doors, i think it won't cut much 'mustard'. Although i do feel like rubbing mustard into their eyes at the moment.


  12. building control

    building control New Member

    you need 8000mm2 trickle vent to habitable rooms, I accept the locking catches but not on doors as no one will use them.
    how long has your builder been doing work? its been a reg for a good few years now.
  13. Mr. Handyandy

    Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

    Even on doors. I've very rarely seen trickle vents on doors.

    Might be worth considering putting a wall vent in instead.

    You'd get a greater capacity, but you would have to clear it with the Almighty (BC)

    Mr. HandyAndy - really
  14. building control

    building control New Member

    never seen a patio door? most have vents on,
    the requrement is to the room, most people put vents in the windows and doors airbricks are ok,
  15. Cack3r

    Cack3r New Member

    Hi buildingcontrol,

    That's good to know. The builder shouldn't have fitted the french doors without trickle vents in that case.

    He originally said 'he wasn't asked to put them in'. Well if it's regs, there wouldn't have to be anyone to tell him since it's compulsory. So at least he'll have to do them for free :)

  16. jonah.

    jonah. New Member

    Not necessarily - He priced the architects drawings which say trickle vents to windows not doors as you said earlier. Because of this its a grey area as to who is reponsible and you will probably end up paying for what ever needs doing cause building control won't let it go now.

    If the window has two stage ironmongery then building control would not have noticed that. Point it out to them and if they accept it, your done. Completion certificate with no extra spend.

    Good luck Sir - Jonah
  17. Biffo

    Biffo Member

    hi all , what a load of BS !!!!!!!!!
    Trickle vents in doors ???
    Ive never had this specified on ANY installation
    The only time i have put these in is when ive messed up the height of the doors ,ive put a 50mm knock on and fitted TVs
    Get the vents stick them on with double sided tape ,let inspector gadget come (fingers Crossed )
    When all is passed
    Pull them off

  18. Cack3r

    Cack3r New Member


    Right, well i did a little search and 'nowhere' does it mention trickle vents in doors or sidelights. ONLY in windows.

    Can building control demand something that isn't regulation ? Are they allowed to make demands like these ?

    Again, the old kitchen has been extended 3m into the garden. The old back window is now the side window in the new part of the extension and i've got brand new french doors with sidelights either side at the back giving access to the garden.

    The inspector hasn't mentioned the window and is asking for trickle vents in the french doors. Should i question their demand ? Especially when i cannot see it in the regs. AND the architects spiele about trickle vents HAS been copied direct from the regs, where only windows are specified.


  19. Mr. Handyandy

    Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

    I would suggest trickle vents in your sidelights if they are glazed, after all, they are windows, fixed.

    Mr. HandyAndy - really
  20. building control

    building control New Member

    The regulation asks for trickle vents to the room its just that most people stick em in windows.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice