Trimming shrubs. Advice from gardeners

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Wells_L, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Wells_L

Wells_L New Member

Wife asked to look for a hedge trimmer. We have some shrubs in the backyard and she wants me to cut it a bit. Never done it before so just wanted to ask you for a not expensive but reliable hedge trimmer and let me know at this point if I should choose a gas or battery one.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I'd go mains electric and a good extension lead. You then have no worries about battery life or petrol going off.

3. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

+1 to above. Pulling on start cord til it fired up was complete pain. We got a Bosch
    mains electric about 15 years ago which we still use on our own garden . I would
    only use it when protected by RCD.

4. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Active Member

Yes to electric hedge trimmer, check the weight, a large heavy one will be tiring to use. especially when using at heights.

5. Wells_L

Wells_L New Member

Yeah, that's the reason I was thinking about the gas one. The usual cord won't be enough.
    Any specific models or Bosch is the best one with no doubt?

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

"gas", "backyard" - I guess you are in the US - this is primarily a UK board, but you are still welcome :)

From my own experience don't buy a cheap gas powered hedge trimmer they are nothing but a PITA. If you have to buy a gas-powered one go for a decent make - e.g. Stihl. However, if you only have average sized hedges to cut consider a good cordless - I went for Stihl HSA56 which is not far off a mid-price gas powered price wise, but really light and easy to use. Battery lasts a very long time - in fact I never get anywhere near emptying it on my 50m of hedge.

7. chillimonster

You kept quiet about that Mr.Rusty...fluent in American ( as well as cracking good advice on carpentry forum)

8. Wells_L

Wells_L New Member

I noticed that something's wrong when saw people measuring things in "meters" ;) thanks for the advice

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Recently trimmed a large bush round the front for my girlfriend, she now wants me to clear the overgrowth around her back passage as safe thoroughfare is essential.

haigie likes this.
  10. chillimonster