triple socket outlets -

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by green paint, Nov 3, 2003.

1. green paint

green paint New Member

IEE regs state

5. - The number of unfused spurs fed from the ring circuit must not exceed the number of sockets or fixed appliances connected directly in the ring.

6. - Each non-fused spur may feed no more than one single or one twin socket, or no more than one fixed appliance.

What is the position with regard to triple socket outlets.
    Can I assume that 3 replaces 2 in the above wording -
    ie I can replace a ring main double with a triple and if I have an unfused spur, this can also be a triple socket.
    Also I assume that triple sockets can now be flush mounted.

Thanks for any info

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

tripple sockets have fuse protection built in to them

BR

3. green paint

green paint New Member

I know triple sockets can be installed - just do not know what they are classed as. If they are installed as a spur then they are treated as a single fused socket outlet?

Again can I substitute a triple socket for a double socket(or for that matter a triple for a single outlet) flush mounted on a ring main - not a spur outlet.

I see no reason why not - but then I don't write IEE regs.

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yea, instalation on a ring should be fine, and i would think it would be classed as a fused spur, dont know anyone who bothers with them.

BR

5. sparky (Original)

sparky (Original) New Member

it is classed as a fused spur i have installed them twice but i hate them.

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

dont realy see the point to be honest, i suppose its less disruption but you might aswell have two doubles, which you could mount surface if you dident want to chopout the plaster. yet anover waste of time

BR

7. sparky (Original)

if it was left to me i would just install a double next to it but you know what some customers are like.

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Yea, "Is it possible to do it without disrupting the decorations? I got these from b&q, will they work?" hands you the triple sockets, God id love to say no, but "Yes" reluctantly

BR

9. sparky (Original)

Yea, "Is it possible to do it without disrupting the
    decorations? I got these from b&q, will they work?"
    hands you the triple sockets, God id love to say no,
    but "Yes" reluctantly

BR

GOT IT IN ONE

10. green paint

green paint New Member

The reason for installing triple sockets is that I have one wall of the kitchen with 2 double sockets - both on the main ring - no spurs.

Solid floor - both socket cables chased down wall.

With triple sockets I can install 12 power points ( 2 ring + 2 spur X triple sockets)instead of max 8 using double sockets.

No contest - less hassle.

Kitchens seem to need a vast number of socket outlets!