tripping RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cearnshaw, Mar 27, 2017.

1. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

He hasn't found the fault yet, this has been days now. I would ring NAPIT myself and get someone in who can trace it.

Sparkielev likes this.
  2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

He should of been worried and checked on the day as his readings were high, he giving registered sparks a bad name

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If he carries out the ring final tests he'll find the part of the circuit where the problem lies. I honestly cannot believe he hasn't identified the issue.

Yes, fixing the problem could be a big job, but at least find the bloody fault.

A full seven days and OP still has a installation that is not functional. Kudos to OP, I would have thrown the spark off the job by now.

bright_Spark likes this.
  4. bright_Spark

That's the trouble, its prats like this that give us a bad name then we all get tarred with the same brush. Gives all the idiots fuel for calling us.

5. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

from the fuse box and back I would not be surprised if it's approaching 60-70m

longboat likes this.
  6. bright_Spark

Ring this number if it trips again (and it will) 0345 543 0330

7. bright_Spark

That's normal. won't cause a high Zs reading.

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

What is a normal Zs reading? Surely they vary from one installation to another, and as I said 'the measurement is well within the limits as prescribed in BS7671'.

A circuit run of 100 metres is hardly exceptional!

9. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

Is that NAPIT?

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

11. bright_Spark

Yes, just tell them this is causing you a headache, it is inconvenient and your electrician is trying but not finding the fault, they will get someone in, just explain you don't want him back as he isn't getting anywhere,

longboat likes this.
  12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Wtf! The longer the run, the higher the Zs readings will be.
    Are you sure you're 'registered'?:p

13. bright_Spark

Is he a young lad ? (the electrician you have)

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

And make sure tell them his first solution was to put circuits on the non-rcd protected side of your board. That goes against current regs.

longboat likes this.
  15. bright_Spark

I am not about to explain things to you, if you don't know now. \sorry but I am not going to get into a long drawn out discussion which will turn into an argument. Yes I am registered and yes I know a long length will affect readings. Your not pointing anything out other than trying to make yourself look clever, which quite obviously your not doing to great a job on that score.

16. bright_Spark

He put it on an RCBO joe.

17. bright_Spark

Obviously you think the reading is fine. We shall leave it at that, its easier, cant be bothered to sit arguing. Just accept I would be concerned and you wouldn't be. However there is a problem that is evident.

18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Your registration status was a rhetorical question. I'm not looking for an argument but rather stating a fact, ie, the longer the run the higher the Zs readings will be and as the OP has now said, '80 metres' (as a wild guesstimate) to the length of the run, the Zs measurement is perfectly normal.

Do you concur?

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Which has nothing to do with the Zs readings! :)

20. bright_Spark

I take the 80 meters with a pinch of salt, your average person wouldn't know a run of cable in length, I work on some exremely large kitchen jobs that don't take that run. And the Zs reading has nothing to do with the tripping RCD. I never even mentioned that. I was talking about the condition of the earthing and circuit in general. He didn't take any readings before altering the kitchen in the first instance. No length of cable run was ever mentioned until now. This is going to turn into too long a conversation about this ridiculous notion that you have picked up on, I suggest you start at the beginning of this saga and read every post to get into the conversation without jumping in at the end. It will then all make perfect sense to you. Rather than me ping pong answers back and you firing questions, then come back into the conversation and you will more likely agree with me.