tripping RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cearnshaw, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You made this odd comment. I thought it odd at the time. The Zs value is of no concern at all. You do not even know the Ze. It is the R1 + R2 value that is odd, but suspect it isn't the true reading. You are acting a little harsh in this thread. Your initial diagnosis which you pushed down everyones throat has been proved incorrect.

2. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Yes I did make a mistake and for that so I get insult after insult, yes my initial diagnosis was wrong with the lights but don't recall shoving it down anyone's throat? and it was more than possible & favorite too. We are on a forum and are going on limited information, your point taken.

3. bright_Spark

Just before I forget, I mentioned the Zs reading as unusually high with the R1 + R2 readings, someone else had mentioned this also, so with readings being on the high side it is a good assumption that something isn't right and obviously isn't. the Zs is irrelevant now but I didn't write everything down about it or would be a hell of a long post. I cannot grasp why when trying to help someone with a problem there is always problems from a certain few on here who are hell bent on either insulting people or questioning their ability. I would have sorted this problem out in a matter of hours if it were my job. I am shocked this has been going on the time it has and hence gave the chap NAPIT number to get someone in to get it sorted. Not often would I go against someone in my camp but this is now needing real intervention and NAPIT will sort it for them. depending where he is it might be me!!!

4. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

and we were good for 4 days then 5 trips in a 5 minute window tonight and now all good again

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Did your spark do a full test when he called back

6. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

This problem won't be solved until you get installation tested I'd get another spark or ring napit

longboat likes this.
  8. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

He wants to PAT the appliances and if he can't find it then I'm gonna make sure he finds someone who can or ring NAPIT. I'm bored of this. My worry is how on earth is anyone gonna find a fault now it's all behind plastered and decorated walls and new fitted kitchen and so intermittent. The extension is 14mx 3m with the wiring taken from the kitchen which was knocked in to . Is it possible to find a fault in a single section of what must be 70-80m of wiring?

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I would agree with lev's comment. It should only take an hour at the most to test the fixed wiring and give a 'yay or nay' result.
    If all checked out fine and dandy that would be a great relief for the installer, but I don't think he quite knows what he's doing anyway.
    Are you being charged for any of this investigatory work?

10. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

nope, no charge as it was fine before he messed with it. He says if PAT is OK then he will test the cable between each socket to find out which link it is then disconnect the link creating 2 radial circuits. Does that sound right?

11. bright_Spark

I must say you are very easy going, this should have been sorted out well before now, I don'y know how he got into NAPIT in the beginning but you need to do one of two things. Either ring NAPIT and get them to sort it out or get another spark who knows what he is doing. If you pay to get it fixed then bill the nutter who is messing you about. He might be glad whichever you decide as he isn't going to get it sorted for you.

longboat likes this.
  12. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

I have had enough however timing is not ideal at the moment but if his next round of searching fails that is my plan

13. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

I am not sure why he just didn't test the damn cable to start with. He is based a reasonable distance away so it is as big an inconvenience to him to keep returning

longboat likes this.
  14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If he has said that, then it only confirms mine and many others opinions that he doesn't really know what he's doing. :(

A test on the whole circuit would instantly reveal any faults and then you would break the circuit down to find the cause.
    PAT testing someone else's appliances would be the last thing to do, and I would probably charge a small fee to do so, if I hadn't supplied them that is?

Your builder has sub-contracted this guy to do the electrics, I take it?
    Probs best to have a word with him!

15. cearnshaw

cearnshaw Member

spoke to builder who is also on his case

16. bright_Spark

It is a strange way faultfinding by PAT testing your appliances. I am a NAPIT member and am shocked at his performance so far

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I hadn't realised you were in NAPIT, it's a good job you're not a vegan :p:p:p

18. bright_Spark

I am obviously slow here chippie, enlighten me?

19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

No, it isnt ok.

The mcb will be rated for a ring final which is 32A on a 2.5mm T&E cable. Spliting the ring will give the chance of potential overload on the cable unless he downgrades the MCB to a maximum of 20A.

kind regards

longboat likes this.
  20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

[​IMG]