Triton Power Shower, no water coming out of hose

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ChelseaCrabbit, Dec 7, 2019.

1. ChelseaCrabbit

ChelseaCrabbit New Member

Hi everyone

When we bought our house (4 years ago) a triton power-shower was already installed. One morning I got up for work and although you could hear the pump whirling as usual, no water was coming out of the hose.

We bought a replacement unit and have installed according to manufacturers instructions, yet are still having the same problem.

We have a button-on-the wall, not a pull cord. The light doesn’t flicker when you turn the shower on.

I’m a complete novice when it comes to all this but also a nurse working for the NHS so money is tight! so any tips or things for myself and my husband to try before we call a plumber out would be great fully received.

Thank you in advance

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What is the model ? Triton make a lot of showers. Which one is it ?

3. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. A power shower is one which has hot and cold water supplied to it, and a pump inside which improves the pressure to give a better shower.
    2. An electric shower is one which has only cold water supplied to it. The shower heats that water, and because it is at mains pressure no pump is needed.
    3. Do you have a power shower or an electric shower. Picture of shower and wall switch and model identity of shower would help.
    4. In either case it sounds like an electrical problem. In which case:
    4a. Mains voltages are present in the shower and the wiring and switches leading to it. Unless you or your husband are competent and happy to work around mains voltages, best left to a plumber.
    4b. If you are going to work on it, make sure it is completely isolated at the main (consumer unit) switch before opening anything. It is NOT enough to remove the fuse / circuit breaker from the consumer unit, in case there is a wiring fault.
    4c. As a very first check, make sure that the relevant circuit breaker / residual current device has not tripped.
    4d. For any further checks, a multimeter, and the knowledge of how to use it safely, is pretty much essential. A "neon screwdriver" is neither sufficient nor safe.
    4e. Check for 230 / 240 volts between live and neutral before the wall switch, and after the wall switch when it is on.
    4f. Check for 230 / 240 volts between the live and neutral wire terminations within the shower unit.
    4g. If there is no mains voltage after the switch, suspect the switch is faulty, or that one or more wires are loose.
    5. 4e and 4f above require power to be on. Make sure whoever does the checks is careful, and that there are no others about who could touch exposed wires / contacts. Turn power off again immediately checks completed until all covers re-secured.