Triton shower suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sonny ryder, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Sonny ryder

Sonny ryder New Member

Hi, I hope someone can help
    I have a triton enrich shower unit which was working fine then suddenly stopped the next day...

I have checked the fuse board which is all okay

There is power to the pull cord

The light on the shower unit itself is on when the switch is set to off. The light turns off when it is turned to high, econ or cold

The water supply to the shower unit is coming through fine

I had a look online and a lot of people suggested it may be a solenoid issue. I replaced the solenoid which didnt fix the problem

I spoke to someone from showerdoctor who suggested it may be the solenoid valve so I have replaced that as well, still it doesn't work

I have also noticed The shower isn't making the humming sound it did when it was working before, though I'm not sure if that is relevant

I'm now at a bit of a loss as to what to do
    - sonny

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

You need to check if there is 240v (+/-) at the electrical terminals in the shower. If you don't know how to do this, you must call in someone competent who does.

I should add that as long as there is 240v at the shower, I'd just buy a complete new shower. They're very cheap from Screwfix and have a two year guarantee.

If there isn't 240v at the shower, the ceiling switch is probably faulty.

Heat likes this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Needs the power checked going to shower first. The pull cords often fail and often the neutral connection in switch fails.
    The shower also has a thermal cut out at top of the heater part and it could fail.
    Dangerous to check live electrics though, so I would advise you use someone competent in electrics and who uses a multi meter.
    Solenoid failing would stop the water going through, so you never had that fault.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  4. Sonny ryder

Sonny ryder New Member

Thanks, ill try that, I have had issues with this pull cord before so it wouldn't surprise me if that is the issue

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Heat likes this.
  6. Sonny ryder

Sonny ryder New Member

Yes That's exactly what I have, I have ordered a multimeter for tomorrow to determine if the problem lies in the shower unit or the pull cord. If the pull cord is the problem would it be because it's not wired in properly or because the cord switch itself is knackered?

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Test first, then replace.
    But it could be just a bad connection in the pull switch.
    But 9/10 its a faulty switch.
    It wont cost you anything to, turn off mains, check switch terminals.

Heat likes this.
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

A couple of faults can exist in pull cords switches.
    They can be poorly wired and loose connections as the heavy 6 or 10mm cables are difficult to work with and not tight in screw connections, - especially if it wasn’t done by a Pro.

Or one of the 2 switches (neutral or live) has bad contact inside switch.
    Very common problem and I now prefer 50amp switches and of a decent quality.

If one part of switch is faulty you might find no continuity between the two sides of switch (say the two wiring points of neutral)