Triton thermostatic mixer shower replacement.

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by prichar2, Dec 3, 2020.

1. prichar2

prichar2 New Member

Hi,
    I've got an old Triton thermostatic mixer shower which has broken and needs replacement bu the cartridge is discontinued. I'm looking to change it out for a bar style mixer but I'm concerned about the length of the pipes after I remove the Triton and how to extent them without any joint fouling the wall plates which seem to only allow for a 15mm pipe to pass through.
    The existing fitting leaves only about 9mm of pipe sticking out of the wall with an olive and nut behind it. If I use this existing nut to form a compression joint and extend the pipe then the joint will be formed where the wall plate needs to go. I really don't want to have to smash tiles off to get to the pipes behind and don't know how else to deal with it. Any ideas? I really need help with this one.

Note: the attachments show the way this is currently plumbed. screen-capture-2.png screen-capture-1.png screen-capture-2.png screen-capture-1.png

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You sure there are not any parts still kicking about. Message suppliers on ebay or online or maybe look for second hand shower.
    Just thought I'd say. Assume you've done all the above

3. prichar2

prichar2 New Member

Thanks for the advice Wayners. Unfortunately I've tried that already. I can get one broken one for £50 or just one new cartridge selling for £250. Neither of them seem like a good option.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You will struggle to fit a bar mixer with only ,9mm of pipe protruding from the wall. What is the distance between the pipes ? Most require 150 mm centres ?

5. prichar2

prichar2 New Member

Hi Terrymac, thanks for the reply. The pipes are standard 150mm centre but like I say, they only protrude 9mm and currently have a compression fitting on the end. I won't be able to get in to cut the compression fitting off and extend the pipes because they're concealed. The only way I can see of extending them is to reuse the compression fitting but then the bulk of the fitting will be wrong site of the wall and stop the bar mixer mounting plates from seating. I was hoping that someone can come up with a clever solution.

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

15mm compression to 3/4 male BSP is your best bet. That coupler will connect to your existing nut / olive ,and the shower valve straight onto the male thread. Hopefully the chrome covers that come with the shower valve will accommodate / cover them .

8. prichar2

prichar2 New Member

Thanks Terrymac that sounds like my best bet although I've now discovered that the pipework in the stud wall behind the shower hasn't been fixed to anything so there's some play in the pipework (possibly enough to get away with it). This gives me two options so I'm confident enough to order a replacement and fully remove the old shower. I won't be able to make final decision until it's completely removed and I've got the replacement there to offer it up to. Cheers gents.

9. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Hmm, that isn't a good sign - it could lead to leaks in the future if the bar mixer is hanging off the loose pipes?