Trolls

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by KIAB, Nov 8, 2018.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Getting beyond a joke lately with all these trolls on the loose.

SF Pete & co really need to sort this,but you can't expect him top on here 24/7,need a few mods with restricted powers,who can at least delete these troll's posts.

Dam0n and Heat like this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Actually yes.

3. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

I got banned last week for telling the troll he was disgusting for what he said about @Sparkielev....it’s bang out of order imo and incompetent moderating of the forum.

Sparkielev likes this.
  4. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

In theory, yes it's a good idea. In practise, no. If someone is needing help or advice pretty fast, they can join the site, post their question, and generally get help pretty quickly. If they have to wait for a mod to approve their post, then any answer could be too late to help them. I know that the site is not an emergency service, but sometimes people are desperate for help.

The best way forward is to have online mods, who can clean up as fast as the junk hits the site...

KIAB likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's just the one troll.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Not at all chip. SF select was never about that. It was when they were in the process of updating/ changing the forum software. Some of us were asked to try out the new software. I did and became a SF select member. Nothing else at all. I honestly can’t see what difference being a SF select member does. I have no extra privileges compared to Well Known or other members. ( suppose it’s a sort of badge of honour)

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

We have the two types of troll on here; the short lived ones whom come on each night whom drag up old post and generally post drivel. Then we have some of our more established members whom create forum posts to create friction and wind up other members. There are a few members whom only visit the forum to create and contribute to political posts and rarely contribute to anything to help people with genuine questions

Some of the topics created, especially ones on politics and religion should not belong on a forum centred on DIY/Construction and TBH don't show Screwfix in a good light by supporting these on the Forum. Indeed it is quite shocking how much racism, homophobia etc. are still in the older forum posts. I can't see why these can't be purged or even all the posts beyond 7 years.

At the moment, if I was a retail customer coming onto the forum for the first time, my impression based on the topics and then the behaviour of certain members would tarnish my views on Screwfix and probably wouldn't request any help. Is that what the sponsors of the forum want ?

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I got a ban for as well for losing it after some disgusting messages were sent to me that screwfix pete must of seen, they should be moderating a lot better than what they are, if i was sent them by text or on facebook he or she would be doing time now

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've given trying to understand how SF Pete ticks,it's wrong to ban you or anyone who loses it, when the troll is the instigator.[​IMG]

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When you see the work that people from Marie Curie do to make the last vestiges of people lives better it is quite sad and uplifting at the same time. Then you come across internet trolls, you realise what a wasted, sad life they have and what would there be worth preserving

Heat likes this.
  11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

At the end of a hard day it's a jolly old nuisance (substitute your own expletives as required) to find the home page awash with a load of random and often abusive posts by some tosser who can't think of anything useful to do.

I come on here to learn (and on occasion am able to help as well) but I really CBA to wade through the festering tripe that clogs all the threads.

Thanks to their behaviour we've also lost the ability to PM which was a really useful feature. Instead of creating a process which prevents these abuses, the rules are changed so that we are 'punished'.

For that reason I'm out.

Troll - 1, Willy - 0. Troll wins!

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry to hear this Willy :(

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I now ignore the troll posts, yes I agree it's effing annoying but don't let the ******* win, you are a valued contributor, that means you can check out but you can never leave. ;)
    The PM is a big loss as this was a useful bonus to have the use of.

CGN and Sparkielev like this.
  14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Ye cannae go, Willy - YE CANNAE!

pleeeeeeeez

15. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Aye, we're doomed, I tell 'ee.

16. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Don’t panic!!! Don’t panic!!!

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Easy. Everyone have a week off!

18. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

The troll on here yesterday seemed to have it in for KIAB. Every one of his posts were followed by a drivel troll post. Chucking his baby down the toilet was one of the more memorable ones.

The chuckle brothers troll was a winner however. In between the "to me" "to you" posts he uploaded a full episode which had me in stitches. God knows how's he managed that as I can barely get pictures to upload sometimes..

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The only way round it is to have new members posts approved by admin before it’s posted on the forum. Stop em dead it would guvnor. I realise some folks want a fairly quick reply, but surely 24hrs before a new members post are displayed, is a small price to pay ?

20. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

The fact that PM's are banned for decent members just confirms the mentality these days.
    Kid in school getting bullied..expel the victim. Bullies need help.
    New member troll sends abusive PM to a few members ...ban PM's.
    State something that has been discussed openly in the "free" press...that someone ( left wing liberal mindless snowflake) might be offended by.... they report you and you ...get banned.

Orwellian cake anyone ?
    Rs

Astramax, Dam0n and KIAB like this.