Trouble drilling into walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by gingertimmins, Oct 22, 2018.

1. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

hi, on a number of occasions I have tried putting some shelves up and it has been a right old stress.
    It’s only happening upstairs but off the top of my head, I think I have only tried putting up shelves upstairs.

The problem is that I can drill one hole fine and the next one will allow me to drill in so far but then I’ll hit something that’s impossible to get through. Once or twice it has made me slip off centre and end up gouging a chunk of plaster out.

I’m using a new masonry bit in a Bosch corded drill with hammer action.
    The house is 1900ish terraced house and the wall seems to plaster on brick.

Does anyone have any tips as its driving me nuts!

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

don't apply too much pressure on the drill.

let it do its own work

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could be brick, very hard brick,a normal hammer drill won't touch it,need a sds rotary hammer drill,which has a more powerful more substantial hammer action.

stuart44 likes this.
  4. Roebuck

Roebuck New Member

Hi,

I definitely go with both Goldenboy and Kiab. What you're doing, with the available equipment is fine but when I've had similar problems I've reverted to a my SDS drill (slow and heavy). If you don't have access to SDS then you might try dropping down a size or two, as a pilot may go through easier - again, not too much pressure - e.g 6 mm for Rawlplug, try 4 mm to start.

To help, ensure you hit the right mark, try the Marxman pen (green chalk marker). They are excellent and now cost less than £5 at Screwfix, Toolstation, etc.

Good luck.

malkie129 likes this.
  5. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Does make it harder to use hammer once there is a pilot hole(hammering into partial void).

6. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Perversely, also a problem on old houses is that any hammer action can be too powerful and you end up with 2 inch holes. You just don't know until you drill, and it can vary from brick to brick.

Always try a drill bit a couple of sizes below the one you need and try without hammer action. Then work your way up from there.

Regain the OP, that sounds like something like engineering brick. I agree with the others, a small pilot hole would be easier, then widen out.

shadowfax likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Heller Trijet are excellent bits to use on hard brick (from competitor) if you have a sds drill.

malkie129 likes this.
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How old is your house and where are you?

9. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Thanks guys, I’ve tried letting the drill do the work but it just keeps me standing there forever until I apply some pressure. That’s when it all goes wrong.

Would there ever be some sort of steel reinforcement running through the brickwork?

I’ll try starting with a smaller bit.

10. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Around 1900 in Bristol. It’s a little 2 up 2 down miners house (I think)

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Like already said you need a better drill an sds one, maybe hire one for the day you will notice a big difference in performance

12. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Bummer. It’s pretty annoying that I’d have to hire an sds drill to put up a bloody shelf!

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Do you know anyone who has one ? I have seen people drilling with a hammer drill, it painful to watch the drill screaming like a seal in a propeller

Need a bigger hammer and Jord86 like this.
  14. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Not that I can think of, I’m pretty new to bristol and any people I do know aren’t really hand/ diy inclined!

Now I have the perfect excuse no to put up a shelf when the GF asks me to!

15. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

what I do is hold the hoover hose under where you are drilling and it sucks all the dust without getting any on the floor.

shadowfax likes this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Whilst that is a top tip, he's not making any dust because he can't drill the bloody hole......

Sparkielev likes this.
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was wondering if there was flint or pebbles in the wall and that's what he was hitting?

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Screwfix Titan SDS corded 240v hammer drill, usually about £65, really cannot go wrong, it's superb for the money.

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Could be stone, with brick quoins and render outside giving the assumption it's all brick, or could just be tough as a navvies jaw and his masonry bit isn't getting near.

20. Roebuck

Roebuck New Member

Gingertimmins,

You're welcome to borrow my SDS and bits but I'm in Everleigh (40-50 miles, I guess)