Trouble plumbing sink

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by theuselesspotato, Feb 14, 2021.

1. theuselesspotato

theuselesspotato New Member

Hi guys,

I recently fitted a new sink myself and threw all the old pipes away as they were dirty and with this sink having more depth they were useless anyway.

My issue is the waste pipe is in a really tricky position and I have no idea how/what I need to get my sink plumbed up.

I've already bought a kit as you can see in the picture but i'm more than happy purchasing something else if it'll be a better fit and get the job done.

Please help i've been without running water for a week and if i've got to fill the kettle up again with bottled water i'm going to lose the plot.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What other bits came with what's in pic ,which is totally wrongly fitted.

3. theuselesspotato

Unfortunately I bought a cheaper kit after failing with the first and mixed the parts and now I have no idea which is which.

I'd be more than happy to throw everything away and start again, i just need some idea of what i'd need to buy with my waste pipe being in such an awkward position.

Thanks for replying.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Have a look at Screwfix code 63858 . Your waste pipe out the wall is quite high ,but the above may just do it . You would need to buy a bottle trap also ,and make up the Pipework from trap to wall outlet pipe.

5. theuselesspotato

Thank you i'll pick those up first thing in the morning and let you know how I get on.

Am I right in thinking the bottle trap is for stopping gases coming up the sink plug hole?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Trap prevents smells from drain entering the property.
    The vertical section of the kit is adjustable height ,and connects to the half bowl, so you can get it all as high as you can. Bottle trap connects to bottom of vertical bit. Code for trap is 48341, and of course you will need pipe and elbows to go from trap to waste out the wall.

7. theuselesspotato

I thought as much thanks for the trap code i'll make sure to pick that one up. I just hope my washing machine pipe will be long enough to reach the location of that kit.

I did see flexible waste pipe connector (86386) would have be of any use to me or would I be better off using pipes and elbows?

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

As the trap is going to be on the left hand side of your set up the Flexi obviously won't reach. Rigid pipework is always preferable ,but if needs must the Flexi can be used to get you out of trouble if need be.

9. theuselesspotato

Hopefully it won't come down to me needing to buy a flexi but i'll give it by best shot tomorrow using rigid pipework.

i'll be sure to post some pictures tomorrow with how I get on.

Thanks again for all your help.

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

We wait with baited breath !
    Good luck

11. theuselesspotato

So i've just arrived back and decided it might have been a better idea to order a p trap (46577) instead of the bottle trap as it was telescopic and thought it would be easier to align with the waste pipe.

The main bit of kit from floplast is slightly too big which means there is a slight angle when connecting to the main sink bowl but i shouldn't see that causing a problem.

Any idea of what I should buy next to get to the finish line?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is the trap outlet at a lower level than the pipe that goes out the wall ?

13. theuselesspotato

I think so, i could raise the trap higher and i think it would line up or be roughly a centimetre out.

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you used a p trap that was not extendable ,you would get it at least an inch higher.
    Also the waste fitting on the left sink is really deep ,so it comes down very low. Changing that for a shallower one would enable the whole set up to be raised at that end.

15. theuselesspotato

Thanks for the tip, have you got a code for a shallower one that I could take a look at that you think would be more suitable.

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you have a plumbers merchant local to you ,take your waste with you . Screwfix only do one ( I think) code 97562. Which may or may not be shallower. Together with the extending Flexi code 86386 you should be in business. Have you got any waste pipe ,only need a short length to join trap to Flexi ?

17. theuselesspotato

Thats a good idea, i think i would need it to be quite a bit shallower, i'll try and see if i can find one and take it with me.

Luckily I didn't throw the waste pipe away that I cut off, the black pipe that is laying on the towel in the first picture is that what you mean?

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes rigid pipe , 40 mm diameter ,same as what goes thru the wall, looks like you would need a foot length or more( hard to tell from pic)

19. theuselesspotato

Similar to this? so close but so far

Attached Files:

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes ,that will do . If you connect the Flexi to the pipe that sticks out the wall ,you can just cut a piece of the old black pipe to join Flexi to trap.