Trouble with MDF Wardrobe, HELP!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Arthur Bates, May 23, 2020.

1. Arthur Bates

Arthur Bates New Member

I have a built-in wardrobe in my bedroom that is made from MDF and it has some damp/mould patches at the back of it. Not a lot but enough that we can't hang clothes in it anymore. I can't afford to replace the wardrobe and want to know if there is a way I can remove the mould and then coat it with a non-porous product and then possibly paint or use another product like a lacker to give it a nice finish? Ideally would like to protect my clothing from further mould coming through the back if that's where it came from.

Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

If it's surface mould wipe it off with a mix of 50/50 household bleach and improve the ventilation (air flow) throughout the wardrobe by fitting vents. It probably is built off and outside wall which is a cold wall so you could also warm up the interior wall with a thermal liner wall covering to help remove the chill.

ginger tuffs likes this.
  3. Arthur Bates

Arthur Bates New Member

Thanks. The back of the wardrobe is an outside wall and there are no vents in the doors. There is a small gap of about 1 inch between the back wall and the exterior wall. Would it be worth putting some holes in there and filling with some type of insulating foam?

4. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Can the wardrobe back be removed if not line the wardrobe back boarding with WallRock Thermal liner or the more economical Graphite + Insulating Lining Paper.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. Arthur Bates

Arthur Bates New Member

Sadly not, I would have to remove all the sides and interior walls. If I put the thermal liner on then do I cover that with boards or leave it?

6. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

If you use the Graphite+ (Toolstation) you can cover that with a lining paper to protect it and also emulsion over the lining paper it to add further protection.

7. Arthur Bates

Arthur Bates New Member

OK. so would the below plan be logical?
    1. Wash the mould with a bleach/dishwashing liquid mix
    2. Sand the mould area’s to remove all remaining mould
    3. Coat the back wall with diluted PVA
    4. Line with Graphite Plus Insulating Lining Paper
    5. Coat with an emulsion paint
    6. Then either paint or wallpaper to finish

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Buy some vc175 and add to the paint.

9. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

1 - 4 yes
    5 use lining paper to cross line over the graphite +.
    6 emulsion over lining paper to finish.

10. Arthur Bates

Arthur Bates New Member

OK thanks so much for the guidance. Will give this a try