Tumble dryer plug gets hot

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Brass, May 28, 2022.

1. Brass

Brass New Member

Hi all, I am here just doing some research.
    We have a tumble dryer with a moulded plug fitted. The appliance is approx 6 years old and we have never experienced a problem up to now. I removed the plug by chance one day and noticed it was cracked and burnt between the holes, so I changed it for a new replacement which was an original in our new home before we had stuff done and I kept the original sockets. They are effectively unused and approx 18 months old.
    The replacement got hot and smelled burnt, so my Mrs switched it off and unplugged it until I got home. I have checked the wiring in the faceplate, and it is all fine, investigations into the old faceplate revealed no internal burning or scorching either (dismantled down to it's individual components)
    I plugged the dryer into a short extension lead to test what happens and I find the dryer plug is the thing getting hot and the socket stays as normal. This is a moulded plug, any ideas lads and lasses? before I chuck it away and buy a new one....
    Thanks for your time and assistance all x

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Swapped plug or socket- confused

mid the moulded plug shows heat damage then swap it: get decent quality one too…

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Check fuse is tight and clean in the moulded plug
    I find that big power drawing devices can cause live plug pin to get hot

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I agree. I think that @Brass is swopping the words plug and socket.
    I think he means that he’s removed the plug and noticed that the socket was cracked. He has replaced this socket but the problem has re-occurred.
    My guess is

when @Brass had “stuff done” and new sockets were installed that perhaps the work wasn’t done very well, or the new sockets were not the best. As a result, with the high currents, the socket has failed.
    The heat created may have charred the conductors behind the socket and the heat has also caused a high resistance within the plug.
    So changing just one (plug or socket) is going to cause more problems later.
    Do both:
    Chop the moulded plug off and fit a good quality replacement with the correct fuse.
    Remove the socket. Cut the copper conductors back to bright copper. Fit a new, good quality socket. Make sure the terminals are done up good and tight.
    Hopefully that should sort it.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

A new plug and socket should fix the problem.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Exactly. Why didn’t I think of that?:rolleyes:

7. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

What is the electrical load of the tumble dryer? Do you have any installation instructions, model name/number?

8. Brass

Brass New Member

You are correct, I unplugged the dryer for some reason and noticed the charring and cracking, so replaced it with a new one that was elsewhere in the house. That then got hot (residual off the plug I guess) and smelled burnt.

When I took the old burnt and cracked one completely apart, the insides were untouched and clean, no marks or charring at all, so the scorch marks on the front must have come from the moulded plug, yes the conductors and insulation were clean and untouched.

The test I did with the short extension cable showed me the plug is over heating, it is nothing to do with the installation work that has been done.

So I have come on here to see if this has been heard of in a purpose fitted moulded plug before and possible explanations to it as I love researching stuff.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes moulded plugs fail. Mass produced products are not 100% fault free. But, as I say, the original socket failure may have done some damage to the plug as well.

Brass likes this.
  10. Brass

Brass New Member

Got it, thanks.

I have seen thoughts about the dryer being faulty and drawing too much power causing the heating, but I'm leaning towards the plug. Problem I've got is I shared my thoughts on the faulty dryer and now she is scared and wants a new one, dammit :(

11. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

As I said change the plug. If she’s scared to use it buy a washing line. Perfectly good this time of year and more environmentally friendly

12. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

13. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

They are tough, but would I use one for a heavy continuous load? Maybe not.

I prefer the MK 0655 plugs for heavy loads.

14. Brass

Brass New Member

All useful feedback lads, thanks.