Tumble Dryer plug has burnt

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by John pass, Apr 26, 2021.

1. John pass

John pass New Member

hey all looking for some advice on where to go next, our tumble dryer plug has burnt out at the fuse, had a 13AMP in it which is connected to a wall socket that is controlled also by a 13amp, this is the 2nd time it has happened do I need to speak to an electrician about the socket or a dryer technician about the machine? or can I cut the cable shorter past the burnt section, put on a new plug and all will be good?

ps, I do rewire Studio lights for film and TV so a simple plug change is good for me, normally with the burnt cable though we get a full new harness and change it out.

thank you

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

It could be the socket itself making a poor connection, which would cause the plug to get hot.

3. John pass

John pass New Member

thanks, i called an electrician to come do a test on the socket as all i have is a socket tester and that's not going to tell me much

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The socket and its wiring need to be checked for heat damage.

Probably the best option is to replace the socket with a new one of good quality, cut back the burned flex and replace the plug, again with a good quality one.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Change both the plug and the socket for a reliable type such as MK.

6. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Also ensure all strands are properly tightened down in the new socket, and your new plug. If not
    tightened down, arcing can occur.o_O

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks like the socket is at fault if it's the second time this has happened.

8. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

What on earth is a DIYer technician Mate?

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Where does it say that?

10. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Screwfix Select

Dryer technician

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Pete, he said dryer technician, as in technician that repairs dryers lol. :D:D

(Edit: Any similaritity to fork handles is purely coincidental.)

pppmacca43 likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ok, ....a spelling error :oops:.

Drier.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A mate is the Dryer technicians assistant in this scenario. :p

14. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Screwfix Select

Is the dryer(or drier ;)) plugged in behind the unit, if the dryer is pushed right back against it maybe the heat from the appliance is contributing to it. Just a guess but wondered if that could be an issue?

15. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

Put another one on it.