Tumble dryer vent not fitted right

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jay459, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

My tumble dryer does not function correctly, it is always cutting off before clothes are dry and its a vent issue.

The problem is the plumber or whoever it was fitted the dryer drilled the hole out a lower height than it should of been which means the vent pipe does not line up and its not venting as much air as it should...

My house was a new build so i guess they have drilled it out correctly but when the floors were tiled it means the the dryer is higher than it should be...

Trying to think best way to do this, i don't want to damage wall on outside but, should i just kango inside of hole to make bigger and allow more air to get out??

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Make & model please.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is it connected to wall using a flexible hose ? (Probably)

Check that hose isn’t excessively long so when machine is slid back against wall, hose may be folding back on itself and causing a blockage

Flexi hose should be able to cope with some misalignment - doesn’t need to be millimetre perfect

Hose should be long enough to allow machine to be pulled forward then hose disconnected from machine/vent

Excessively long will allow loads of fluff to build up, moisture and cause a possible blockage

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  4. just pumps

Only thing to block might be the filter not the hose.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve seen this problem before jp where hose was way too long

As machine was pushed back, hose can only concertina back so far and machine was crushing hose causing blockage

Simply cut hose down to a more sensible length and no more problems

6. just pumps

Ah!, see what you mean by causing a blockage now - Sorry. :)

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No worries mate, just a misunderstanding :)

I am only diy but ‘try’ not to BS too much and offer advice from my own diy experience over the years

But like recent post today re fitting a new led light

Advice offered was ‘don’t mix up switched lives, otherwise you need to get a sparky in’

Sound advice to not mix them up as switched lives hadn’t been sleeved or marked in any way to ID them

But apart from getting in a sparky, you can simply find out what is what by using a humble neon screwdriver and if available, an assistant flicking the light switch on/off

Yep it means working live but really, how stupid do you need to be to touch bare copper and get a belt ..... that stupid that you shouldn’t be doing job in the first place (or ever leaving the house for that matter)

Yeah I get it, no pro spark would suggest or even own a neon screwdriver or advocate it’s use but, if you 1st prove it’s working on a known live terminal, then you can use it to ID switched live from perm live

Again, how do I know :eek:..... !

Anyway, I digress ;)

Enjoy the remaining bit of the w end

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If the misalignment is only the thickness of a tiled floor, that isn't going to cause the problem with the dryer. It's either what the guys have said about the flexible hose being too long and kinked or the dryer is at fault. Sorry for the stupid question but is there a blocked lint screen?

9. Jay459

Jay459 Member

It was a brand new bosch dryer so i had bosch engineer out about a year ago to check it as i thought it was a fault with the dryer. But it was him who spotted the hole was drilled incorrectly.

Been annoying my wife as she constantly has to turn it back on to get clothes dried.

I had to change outside vent cover as it was damaged and was able to put my hand in and id say only half is letting air through...

But the flexi hose def is on the long side so will shorten it to see if it helps...

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

We were given a tumble dryer as a wedding present which still works after thirty one years. It's only been used about twenty times in all those years though. Can't beat a washing line.....

DIYperson likes this.
  11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Misaligned by 10-15mm ... that itself will NOT cause an issue with air flow. There is something else wrong. My TD outlet is probably 60mm or more below the vent - so extremely misaligned, is that an issue? NO.

If only half the hole is letting air through then there must be a blockage or serious kink in the hose.

12. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Our tumble drier has been in 15 years and the outlet ends in 100x50mm adaptor(it was easier at the time to just knock out half a brick), and it never stops.