Turn off control radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bluecjh, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Bluecjh

Bluecjh New Member

Hi,

I want to be able to turn off the “control radiator” and only heat my bedroom in the morning during the cold months. There is no TRV or manual valve on the control radiator . We are all trying to save energy with prices so high and set to get higher. I can see a potential 50% energy saving in the morning if i can turn off the “control radiator.” The c-radiator is in the living room, where the thermostat is, but I can’t afford the luxury of heating all of the house all the time . I need greater control. Can anyone advise? The boiler was a 2016 installation for info…

Many thanks.

Chris

2. banger

banger New Member

Ideally you need a valve controlled by a time clock to stop the flow in the living room. Without a valve you will be heating up the same quantity of water and savings will be minimal.

Probably easier to turn off heating completely, and heat the bedroom with a fan heater - almost instant heat and no wastage

3. Bluecjh

Bluecjh New Member

Hi Banger, thanks, there is a valve on the c-radiator in the form of the lock shield nut. Are there any boiler risks if I shut it off (bit cumbersome using a spanner all the time of course and could unbalance the system)

very tempted by the fan heater alternative….

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  4. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

That depends if your system has a “bypass” built in, to allow the pump to operate with all radiators shut off.

5. Bluecjh

Bluecjh New Member

Thanks Adgjl. Should I be able to establish that in the install literature or is there a simpler way?

6. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

There will be very slight cost savings by turning off the control rad but if you really want to, remove the sensing head from your bedroom TRV so that valve can’t turn itself off. Don’t forget that if your room stat is somewhere other than in the rooms you’re heating, it won’t do it’s job.

7. Bluecjh

Bluecjh New Member

Thanks DCox, by removing the TRV in bedroom i am ensuring guaranteed flow as a safety measure? Unless i can establish that there is a bypass valve?

8. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

That’s right. But traditionally the room stat is is in the same area as the control rad, so if the control rad is off the room stat will never get to temperature.

9. Bluecjh

Bluecjh New Member

I follow… I don’t think I will implement because it sort of compromises other bits of system as you point out. But it strikes me as odd that we don’t have more control in the sense that I may end up resorting to a fan heater in the bedroom as someone suggested and turning off the CH in the morning. In September there will probably be another 50% hike in energy bills…

10. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

If you had a wireless room stat or wireless programmable room stat you could move it into the rooms your will be heating.

11. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

There are Systems available with Smart TRVs that can be set to schedules and temperature.
    Tado, Wiser, Honeywell EVO. £500+ for a 2-3 Bed House mind you.
    Not sure how it would do just running one Rad though. Just a DIYer :)

For what you want, a Smart or Mechanical Timer Plug and a Fan Heater or Oil Filled Radiator.

My Partner works from Home now.
    Alexa Plug and Oil Filled Rad does the trick.
    If particularly cold and the heating is on, also have a single programmable TRV on the Central Heating Rad where she works. About £30

12. Bluecjh

Bluecjh New Member

Thanks for all the help. Sadly all the smart gadgets won’t address the “control rad” being either always on or cumbersome to switch on and off with spanner. Think I need a pro..,