Turning Bath and re-plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by noviceGB, Aug 11, 2005.

1. noviceGB

noviceGB New Member

Can anyone help me with advice about turning a bath 180 degrees and re-plumbing it? Specifically I would like advice about best techniques for pipe cutting (both copper hot and cold - Plastic waste pipe), joining pipe (what's best speedfit or solder?) and how do you get accurate measurements if you are running the pipe work from one end of the bath to the other and does it really matter if the pipes are at a bit of an angle when joining to the taps/waste?

2. MJH

MJH Member

Firstly you need to get yourself a pipe cutter from your local plumbing merchant(Monument or Kopex). Isolate the water going to the taps and cut pipe. Unscrew waste pipe from under bath and hopefully the bath with be free. Next you can either use compression joints to re-route the hot and cold and then buy 2 flexi's (again from the merchants) which connect your pipe's to the taps but allow movement. Then you'll need to re-route the waste., this can be done with McAlpine compression fittings. It's an easier job to do rather than explain. Whereabouts are you based?

3. noviceGB

noviceGB New Member

MJH - Thanks for the advice and a quick response. Looking at the waste pipe it appears to be joined to the bath with the usual fixing and then covered in some kind of paste? Do I need some more of this 'paste' to re-connected it after I have turned the bath?
    Based in Milton Keynes.

4. saint dave

saint dave New Member

The waste pipe is 40mm and can be cut with a hacksaw, the joints you describe are probably solvent weld, of which you will need to buy a tub. If you are unsure about using this then both pushfit and compression joints are avaliable at any good plumbers merchant.

5. noviceGB

noviceGB New Member

Thanks Gents - feeling a little more confident now. Next week will tell if I have taken all of this in. I'll give you an update once complete...

6. MJH

MJH Member

Take the old fitting off, give the bath waste side a good clean and maybe buy a brand new bath trap. This should screw on tight, you can always use a bit of wickes clear sealant or something similar just to make sure it's watertight.

7. mall.

mall. New Member

when you have completed your mission,you will also need some silicon eater,to remove old silicon which will now be on outside edge of your bath,don`t forget isolators on hot and cold supply,also,push fit fittings work well on copper water pipe (not everyone can solder!)if you change from copper to plastic pipe,at an isolator,you must use copper liners inside plastic pipe....or you`ll get wet.p.s if you havn`t done this before,set new bath height to side panel height...you`d be amazed how many people end up cutting down bath panel to suit bath.
    mall

8. plummit

plummit New Member

Hi Novice,
    Have no Idea how the waste pipe runs, If spinning the bath around, just ensure that you have a fall on the waste pipe. If the bath is acrilic achrilic arc....... plastic, will the (if fitted centre support), be in the way.

9. noviceGB

noviceGB New Member

Plummit - Good point about the waste pipe, I had not thought about that - 'Novice'. Can I buy flexible waste pipe and join it around the centre support leg?

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Should be plenty of space down one side under the bath for the wast pipe if you can't run it under it.

I have also read once you're happy with no leaks, to stuff in some loft insulation around the bath - this way it will stay nice and hot for longer!

11. saint dave

saint dave New Member

To get around the middle leg simply use a couple of 45 degree bends, simple really :)

12. slide

slide Member

i would go with Hep2O plastic pipe and john guest speedfit fittings - quick to install and very reliable over a long period of time. Piping right up to the taps in copper can be tricky if you have no experience and may also require pipes to be bent to the correct angle to meet the taps. Plus, when the pipes aren't on show, whats the point in using copper? (except for the cost of course)

13. noviceGB

noviceGB New Member

Thanks to all. I have turned the bath successfully and all with no apparent leaks to date.
    CHEERS!