Turning my roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ianm, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ianm

ianm New Member

Hi
    I'm turning my sand stone slate roof. I'm going to use screw fix Protect A1 roofing felt.

What size lat's do i need to use?
    Am i as well replacing the lats in the same place and using pegs or moving the lat's a little higher and using nails or screws.

Any advice would be great cheers

2. ­

­ New Member

lat. Now there's an abbreviation!

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

???lateral battens ?

'Turning my roof', now there's an abbreviation!

:O

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. ..what the * does 'turning my roof ' mean?

[Edited by: admin5]

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Flipin' the Pancake

6. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

If you are joining to an existing roof you will need to use standard laths if not 2x1 s are best.
    Take the rows off a row at a time and number each pile with chalk.
    Do not take off the bottom row of under slates.
    Before taking off the laths mark all the spacings on a piece of paper.
    The first piece of felt is supported on the unders you have left on.
    Fix new laths to old spacings and hook on slates with aluminium pegs,unless your slates are very thick you will need a few reclaimed slates ready to replace any broken ones.
    Good luck

7. Joatmojo

Joatmojo New Member

"Turning a roof" means just that in this context.

The margins (face side) of some relatively soft 'stone' tiles/slates laminate or deteriorate in some way or other over the years, and to give them another few hundred years life they are often 'turned'.

But boy, do you have to know what you are doing!!

Joatmojo

8. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

???lateral battens ?

Slaters laths Andy.

9. screwfox

screwfox New Member

I've just done this with half of my york stone roof. Boy was that hard work! The biggest weighed over 10 stone. I used aluminium pegs (the original oak pegs had rotted which is why the roof needed doing). The laths I used were 38x25 tanalised IIRC. I just went to the timber merchants and asked for roofing battens. About 10-12 slates were not re-usable, some I cut down to use further up the roof and so I ended up buying about half a dozen reclaimed (cost £130!) of the largest I could find and replaced the broken bottom ones.

good luck

10. Martin99

Martin99 Member

Thats some heavy work there. We did ours a few years back. Make sure if your stacking them whilst you turn not to leave ladders there whilst your out. Those big B^%^&ards for the bottom of the roof will walk these days. And fast!