TV Mount, would this suffice?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Graham Linton, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

My brother-in-law wants a TV putting on the wall. It is a few years old, not too big but a little heavier than the most modern ones. I cannot drill into the wall where they want it because there are sockets everywhere. A double plug socket mid-way, a SKY socket for the dish and a TV antenna.

Tracking the wall with my detector it is solid brick but there's nowhere on the wall I could safely put the TV bracket without it being Russian Roulette and not hitting a wire. Now I am wondering if it's possible to use construction adhesive and some 3/4 ply and stick that onto the wall forming the base for the bracket itself. Would that hold? What adhesive would I need and how would I hold it against the wall until it set. It is a large room so I cannot use any kind of clamp, reversed, to put pressure on the ply until it sets.

I've even thought of industrial velcro or the 3M Dual Lock stuff but have no idea how good it is.

Many thanks in advance

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

No I doubt it, it's a heavy t.v it will need mechanical fixing. Surely it's not that bad? Your electrical should be in a chase straight up or down and the coaxial for the dish the same, any bracket I've seen has holes plenty wide enough to ensure you miss these.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just mark the bracket where you want it then gently chip away some of the plaster underneath where the holes are, once no cables are determined, drill the holes.

FlyByNight likes this.
  4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Or approximate where the bracket will be, fraw a rectangle 50mm larger in each direction, then take all the plaster off. Plan and mark where teh fittings will go, giving cable runs awide berth. Drill holes, insert "nails" as markers, replaster, drill through plaster where nails are and fix.

If there is no way to fix the bracket becasue of hole locations and cables &c, get two sheet of 25mm ply the size of the hole. Glue together, and then fix this to the brick/block work with plenty of fixings where possible and add some grab adhesive too. Then fix te bracket to teh ply using 50mm screws which should not penetrate the rear.

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

No, not a chance, certainly in the long term. It will fall sooner or later, most likely sooner IMO.

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Chances are that the paint will pull off the wall pretty quickly.

7. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Thanks everyone. The sockets are at eye level on the wall. The shed had live wires, not even taped up, hanging out of a double plug socket so I don't trust the previous owner's sockets.
    I have 2 detectors, they are both picking up metal below the sockets going down and some across. They don't want it anywhere else other than under the sockets. I will just have to refuse if I don't feel safe doing so. I will drill 4 pilot holes where the bracket will be and see if I hit anything. Thanks everyone

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Remember that you can put straps anywhere on the wall that will be hidden by the TV, can you not find any safe area around the width of the TV to fix some straps to the wall?

9. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

10. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

If you hit a cable with a drill bit you will hear the bang before you hear the drill bit hitting rubber instead of brick. Have you tried the technique?

11. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

No, I haven't. They don't want a wide bracket. The one they've seen is probably 12" high by 3 across, not the standard wide bracket.See photo. I think it's a lot of TV for such a small area.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Apologies, what do you mean by straps? Thank you

13. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

That is a pull out bracket and as such the forces will be way higher.

I would stick by mt earlier comment to cut a whole slab of paster out and insert a double layer of 25mm ply well fixed to the wall. Then fix the bracket to that.

14. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

OK< Thanks for the advice everyone, it really is appreciated.