TV stand

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by nakedterry, Oct 23, 2006.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I have had no luck finding a suitable tv stand and so I have come up with an idea but I just wanted to check that it was viable.
    <u>_______________________</u>
    |<u>_______________________</u>|

I want to get some 3x3 and glue and clamp them together, like butcher block.
    Then I wanted to run a circular saw up it at 45 degrees about 1/3rd in from each end, turn these around ans swap ends and use them for the legs of the table.
    <u>_________________________</u>
    |<u>____|______________|_____</u>|

I would glue and biscuit join them and give it a good sanding to round off the top/leg join.

<u>__________________</u>
    |\<u>_______________</u>/ |
    | |............................| |
    | |............................| |
    | |............................| | (picture this without the dots)

Any one done that kind of thing? Im just curious to see if it could be done.

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

viable if you have the skills

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

is butchers block not staggered?

4. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Or you could run up with a saw @45 degrees twice (wasting a small section) and then you would have the grain following around the joint, which would look much more professional.

Good luck with the circular saw though - it'll be very hard to do accurately & neatly (unless you have a festool ;) ). Much better on a table saw with a sliding bed.

5. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Terry,

The mitre is not really the best joint for this job. The legs need to 'prop' the top up so I would look at through mortice and tenons to give both lateral and downward support for the top. Not too hard to do and sanded flush with the top you can make a bit of a feature of the four end grain squares showing on the table top on each corner. Failing this I would look at some mechanical joints that are available that would also give you a strong joint fit for the purpose.

There are lots of ways to do this though.

DWD

6. Jonny Round Boy

is butchers block not staggered?

Traditionally, butcher's block is end grain, but some manufacturers call their timber tops butcher's block, which confuses the general public.

7. Jonny Round Boy

DWD, at 3 inch thick, and with biscuits, a mitre is more than capable of supporting pretty much any telly you want to put on it.

Just realised though, at 3 inch thick, you'd be hard pressed to find any saw that would cut that deep at 45 degrees...

8. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Not if you have one of these, I've used their 320mm wide handheld planner, bit of a beast!!

The other method of construction would be to stagger the ends of the boards so that you can interlock then like finger joints, plenty of long grain glueing area and direct loading down into the legs

Jason

9. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Yes, Johnny. I hadn't thought of that. I only have a B&D circular saw and it can only do 1-13/16" at 45 degrees.
    Perhaps I'll ask the guy next door for a lend of his table saw, presuming it can make the cut.

Failing that it will make a smaller version using 2x2 and brace it under the top.
    Thanks.

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

jason that tool looks like a sawblade on a round metal plate now....... whats one of them called.... ive got it a circular saw ;)

But what a beast is the 320mm wide planer

i wasnt going for details so didnt mention that a mitre joint isnt strong and would need a back up joint for strength.

mitred dovetail, loose tongue or loose tennon being three

11. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Jason, that is a better idea. I will do it that way. I can just use my compound mitre saw and some careful measuring. It will probably look better too ;)

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo nakedterry

3"by3" !!!!
    what size of monster truck are you supporting on it!!
    are you going for a very very chunky look!!! :D:D:D

what size is your stand [w x h x d] will it have shelves underneath !!!

big all

13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

its a wheel chock for a 18 yard TV screen ;)

14. Controlled Magic

Controlled Magic New Member

I'm going to get you with something a septic did to me in a chatroom years ago.....and I'm not having a go at you DD!

ROTFLMAO

:-D :-D

15. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Big all, I am trying to make it look like a nice bit of furniture and like you say, chunky. I belong to the "they dont make 'em like that anymore" school of thought. Its gonna last a life time.
    It will be 55" wide and 18" high and I will be putting a single shelf underneath. The legs will be notched out for the shelf to sit in.
    Then Im going to stain and varnish it.

Problem is though, I went to B&Clueless last night and I did not see any planed 3x3. Best I could get was 47mmx50mm or 44mmx69mm. Still, it was all carp too. I will have to take myself to the yards on the way home today and see what I can come up with.

16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo naked terry

definatly the woodyard :D:D:D and the wood will come out at about 2 3/4"

have you considerd moving the legs in about 6 to 10" and tapering the top underneath from the legs to the edge and loosing about half the thickness
    and possibly tapering the legs as well over the full or part length

assuming the telly isnt 100kg you could get the same effect by using 3by2" as the side rails 2b1 biscutted together with 2by1" crossing every 11" or so to support the top with the 2 pieces at the outer ends reduced and forming the lip thus avoiding lots off end grain showing
    and again allowing you to taper the ends of the top

the shelve would be same construction as the top with perhaps 2by1" as the side rails and no cross pieces for extra support

big all

17. jasonb

jasonb New Member

A decent timber merchant should have 3x3 PAR in stock, expect it to cost about £5 a meter for decent redwood, don't waste your time with whitewood.

Jason

18. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Big all, flip me, have I inspired you!!
    You have the skills master, I only a little boy.
    Some good ideas though but I would be slightly more minimalist and prefer solid blocks and clean lines.
    I may not key the legs on but move them in like you say, this would definately be easier but not as nice. Swings and roundabouts.
    Jason, thanks for that. There are a good few timber yards here in Belfast so I might leave it till the weekend to get round some of them.

Thanks guys.
    TERRY.
    PS The new HD telly arrived 20 minutes ago. Can't wait to go home. Xbox 306 comes tomorrow. Sleepless nights here we come.

19. big all

big all Screwfix Select

no probs N T :D:D:D:D:

take the bits you like and leave the rest ;)

nows the time to change your plans not when youve spent time and money:):);)

big all

20. dunc

dunc New Member

Sounds like your efforts may be better served in building a yacht.

Most HD screens will be screwed to the wall within 2 years.

But if you gotta do it................