Twisted earths outside junction

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Carld, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Carld

Carld Member

Hi Teki

They're the ones in my original post, I want to replace the existing one and also add another to power patio light.

C

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Fifty or so years later there’s still forum members who think that lighting circuits don’t really need a circuit protective conductor to earth fittings.

3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Probably!
    Ta,
    Cando

4. Carld

Carld Member

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Ok for lighting circuits.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Not compliant with BS 5733 then. That’s what you get if you buy cheap. Better with THESE

you’ll not get more than a couple of cables in them either. Your existing boxes have several cables going to them.

7. Carld

Carld Member

Not bothered about price Bazza, do screwfix sell any that is compliant? Just need to replace one circular junction current three way with four way (hall light) and add another terminal three way end of line (to outside patio light wife insists upon).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  8. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

9. Carld

Carld Member

Cheers Nomenklatura

10. feedtaletwo

feedtaletwo New Member

I'm afraid I can't provide any verification of that however... it's just something I remember, but I don't know where from!

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

?

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Got me confused too.

13. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

That makes 4 of us (I'm including feedtaletwo in my count :D)

14. feedtaletwo

feedtaletwo New Member

Not acceptable in my view and requires improvement, though not immediately dangerous. Twisted connections not IMO reliable as they may in time work loose. Should be made by terminal blocks, wagos, or POSSIBLY by soldering, or other suitable means.

15. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Agree with @Comlec, “accessible” is fairly easy to interpret. If you’re having to think too hard about whether something is accessible, it probably isn’t...

If you have to physically damage a surface or finish (e.g. cut plasterboard or flooring) then it’s not accessible. Unscrewing a panel or lifting a hatch, accessible. I would view that removing a recessed light or ceiling speaker would make the space above “accessible” whereas the space behind a pattress box is not.

To use a plumbing analogy, if a joint was leaking water, how quickly could you get to it to repair it?

@The Happy Builder most of those who believe no CPC on lighting are merrily fitting metallic switches as well...

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That has already been said much earlier in the thread.

17. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

What @Bazza you want people to read previous posts and use the search function???

Next you’ll want wild statements of fact to be backed up with knowledge of the regs...

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Perhaps I expect too much. Apologies. :D

ElecCEng likes this.
  19. Carld

Carld Member

Never mind fellas got two wagos and four point connectors so should be fine.

C

20. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Is there a jb like this type that would accommodate 2 x 6mm twins?
    Can't seem to find one